List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN

List entry Number: 1059697

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireSouth OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityStoke Talmage

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 249008

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STOKE TALMAGE SU69NE 4/162 18/07/63 Church of St. Mary Magdalen

GV II

Church. C13, rebuilt 1758: south porch, vestry and north aisle added 1860 by Giles Gilbert Scott: east window of 1907 by G.E. Coleridge. Limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; gabled mid C19 tile roof. Chancel and single-aisled nave with west tower. Gothic Revival style. Perpendicular-style east window flanked by offset buttresses. South chancel wall has pointed trefoil-headed lancet. North chapel and north aisle have plain 2-light Y-tracery windows; pointed lancet in west end of north aisle. Two similar Y-tracery windows in south wall of nave. Gabled south porch with pointed double-chamfered doorway. West tower has pointed and part-blocked roll-moulded doorway with impost blocks: reset C13 lancets. Interior: mid C19 oak reredos and Decorated-style piscina. Mid C19 chancel arch has jamb shafts with re-used early C13 foliate capitals. Nave has mid C19 pulpit, lectern and pews, and brasses to John Adeane (d.1594) and wife, and John Petre (d.1589) and wife. 3-bay arcade to north aisle, which has C17 oak carving re-used as Georgian Royal Arms. Octagonal mid C19 pulpit in west tower. Stained glass: fine figures of c.1850 by Hardman in chancel east and side windows. In south window of nave is window by Mottis and Son, 1904. (Buildings of England; Oxfordshire, pp. 789-790)

Listing NGR: SU6781699276

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Sherwood, J - Title: The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire - Date: 1974 - Page References: 789-790

National Grid Reference: SU 67816 99276

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Apr-2014 at 08:15:05.