List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WHEATFIELD PARK COACH HOUSE, STABLES AND FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1059673

Location

WHEATFIELD PARK COACH HOUSE, STABLES AND FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireSouth OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityWheatfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Aug-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 249154

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 6899 WHEATFIELD

16/140 Wheatfield Park coach 18.7.63 house, stables and farmhouse (formerly listed as Park Farmhouse)

GV II*

Coach house and stables, part now converted to farmhouse. c.1730. For John Rudge. Coach house: red brick to end walls and rear; wood Doric columns support red brick parapet; old plain-tile hipped roof with central wall; wood cupola. 3-bay coach house. 4 Doric columns support parapet with moulded stone-dressed false pediment. Double plank doors with round tops between columns, except C20 plank infill to left. Round window to tympanum of pediment. Stone ball-finials to ends of parapet. Cupola to centre of roof, having square base; octagonal, boarded, second stage; octagonal dome. Interior not inspected. Flanking stables, at right angles, connected by walls with doorways, forming courtyard. Stables, to left and right, of red brick, with plum brick panels, and stone dressings; old plain-tile hipped roofs. Single-storey, 9-bay ranges. The central 3 bays project forward. Each bay has double rubbed-brick arch on flat piers. Moulded stone cornice to base of parapet. Moulded stone false pediment with brick tympanum to centre 3 bays. Moulded stone coping to parapet. Most stable openings have either plum brick infill with fanlights above or C20 doors. Interiors not inspected. Opposing ends of stables to coach house have brick walls with piers having stone ball finials forming entrance approach.Formerly the stable block to Wheatfield Park, destroyed by fire in 1814. (Buildings of England; Oxfordehire, 1974, p.837; V.C.H.; Oxfordshire, Vol.VIII, 1964, p.264-5).

Listing NGR: SU6871399244

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Salzman, L F - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Oxford - Date: 1964 - Volume: 8 - Page References: 264-265
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Sherwood, J - Title: The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire - Date: 1974 - Page References: 837

National Grid Reference: SU 68713 99244

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Sep-2014 at 12:51:02.