List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STONOR HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALLS AND BUILDINGS

List entry Number: 1059444

Location

STONOR HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALLS AND BUILDINGS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireSouth OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityPishill with Stonor

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Dec-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 247532

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PISHILL WITH STONOR STONOR SU78NW 5/60 Stonor House and attached 24/10/51 walls and buildings (Formerly listed as Stonor House including buildings to south-east of house)

GV I

Country house. C13: hall with front solar/service block and detached chapel. c.1350 for Sir John Stonor: Hall with flanking service and solar wings added to left. Right wing and chapel tower. c.1530 for Sir Walter Stonor: left wing and timber-framed room to kitchen. c.1590-1600: front remodelled and refronted, rear gallery added and left half of C13 hall demolished to make courtyard. c.1750-60: front and rear elevations remodelled, wings to right and rear left rebuilt. Chapel redecorated 1796-1800 by James Thorpe and Drawing Room of c.1834 by George Masters. West wing and front wall to left of mid C16 brick; C18 brick to right of mid C16 brick porch and to rear; outer side walls of flint rubble with brick dressings and C15 brick to right. Chapel of flint rubble with limestone ashlar dressings: tower of early C15 brick. Gabled old and C20 tile roofs, hipped roofs to front wings; shortened C15 lateral stack to right, and numerous C16-C18 brick stacks. U-plan with front projecting wings and chapel with tower to right of front. Central porch has mid C18 ogee-arches over tripartite sashes, and 3 mid C16 allegorical figures over and flanking early C16 segmental-arched doorway and studded inner door with Gothick overlight. Gauged brick flat arches over mid/late C18 sashes; modillioned cornice; 6 pedimented roof dormers. Gable end of left wing has early C19 oriel with sashes over door, and mid C18 polygonal turret with castellated parapet. Gable end of right wing has canted bay attached to chapel: lancets in gable walls and 3-bay front wall; C18 studded door set in pointed moulded left gable doorway. C15 tower has one-light window and moulded brick cornice to hipped roof with C18 bell cupola and weathercock. Mid C18 rear wall has sashes and pedimented doorcase. Interior: four-bay arcade of C13 aisled hail to rear right. Mid C14 hall has spere truss dividing screens passage on left and arch-braced collar-truss with ogee-carved braces and butt purlins; flanking wings have original scissor-truss roofs. Hall remodelled c.1750-60 in Gothick style by John Aitkins including ogee-arches in screens and bridge over screens: Gothick ironwork staircase by Gillow added of rear of screens c.1790; late 16 Flemish glass reset in windows of hall and drawing room to right by Francis Edinton. Hall divided laterally into 2 rooms c.1834 with reset Gothick fireplace and C17 panelling to rear, and Drawing Room with 3-bay Ionic screen to front by George Masters. Similar room with Ionic screen to right leads to early C18 dog-leg staircase and right wing, which has mid C18 archaeological and pastoral scenes painted over doors in ground-floor room. First-floor has late C16 barrel-vaulted room to right of hall; wall-painting of perspective panels, and early C18 round-arched and pedimented doorcases. Mid Cl6 left wing; quartered chamfered beams and early C19 staircase to rear of trellis-work adjoining timber-framed wall with moulded brick decorative panels. Chapel: redecorated 1796-1800 by James Thorpe; ogee hoods and finials over doorways; plaster rib vault on angel corbels by Samuel Klerrod; Gothick iron altar rails and stained glass by Francis Edinton including east window (dated 1799 and repaired), and 3 of originally 4 Fathers of the Church; altar by Henry Blundell of Ince. Subsidiary features: C18 walls to rear and left of flint with brick dressings, brick with blue brick diaper patterns, and with terrace and late C18 brick Gothick-style stable attached to left. The Stonors remained staunchly Catholic throughout the Reformation and during the Jesuit Mission of 1580 Stonor House was visited by Father Edmund Campion who printed his "Decem Rationes" here. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VIII, pp.142-7, 174-6; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.791-4; Arthur Oswald, "Stonor Park", Country Life, Vol.108 (1950), pp.1094-9, 1188-92, 1282-6; Rupert Gunnis, Dictionary of British Sculptors, 1660-1851, p.113; R.J. Stonor, Stonor, 1951; H.M. Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1840, 1978, pp.61,547,827).

Listing NGR: SU7425489230

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)
Gunnis, R, Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851, (1953)
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 791-4
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1954), 142-7
Stonor, R J, Stonor, (1951)
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 108, (1950), 1094-9
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 108, (1950), 1188-92
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 108, (1950), 1282-6
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 34 Oxfordshire

National Grid Reference: SU7425289228

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 02:06:45.