List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1059248

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetTaunton DeaneDistrict AuthorityBishop's Lydeard

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 270227

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST1629 BISHOP'S LYDEARD CP CHURCH STREET (West side)

10/15 Church of St Mary

25.2.55

GV I

Parish Church. Some late C14 work, mainly late C15, chancel and North aisle rebuilt, latter extended one bay and vestry added 1860-62 by Jeboult of Taunton. Coursed and squared Lydeard red sandstone, random rubble chancel, Ham stone dressings, moulded plinth, slate roofs with coped verges, nave decorative ridge tiles, C19 patterned slate roof on chancel. Four bay nave, transepts, chancel, 4 bay North and South aisles, South porch, West tower. The church is noted for its fine tower with pierced tracery battlements, pinnacles, set back buttresses terminating in pinnacles at the bell-storey, pinnacles also on the buttresses at each stage. Two 3-light double tier bell openings with Somerset tracery and corbelled pinnacles on all faces, third stage single 2-light window with Somerset tracery, small window below at second stage, 5-light two tier window above West door, 4 centred arched opening with square surround and decorative spandrels - C19 renewed in Ham stone. Stair turret in North-east corner. All windows 3-light perpendicular. North aisle crenellated with gable incorporated at West end but rising behind crenellated parapet at East end, gargoyles and rood stair turret. North aisle without crenellations mid C19. South porch crenellated to East but filled out to form parapet at West end, pediment over entrance that contains remains of scratch clock. Perpendicular piers flanking moulding arched entrance, wagon roof and 4 centred arched doorway with C15 door with strap hinges transversing the width of the door. Interior: standard Perpendicular arcades, lower on North aisle, perhaps late C14 while taller South aisle contemporary with tower circa 1470, C15 wagon roof South aisle; exposed ribs and trusses of C15 wagon roof nave, ceiled above rood screen, painted and gilded; C19 scissor truss roof with arch braces on corbels in North aisle, ceiled wagon roof chancel C19. Painted baldacchino and painted decoration on jambs of chancel window, Ninian Comper, 1925. Fine early C16 rood screen with fan vaulting and tracery arcades, C19 painting and gilding, rood cross above by Comper l948. Jacobean pulpit on mid C19 stone stand. C15 octagonal font, restored mid Cl9 late C15 - early C16 bench ends. Collection of C18 wall tablets. Brass Nicholas Grebham, died 1598, Eleanor his wife, with their family. A fine tower and good collection of fittings. (SANHS Vols 44 and 54, 1898 and 1908; Lloyd Hughes Owens, The Church of St Mary the Virgin Bishops Lydeard, not dated; photographs in NMR).

Listing NGR: ST1679429762

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Hughes Owens, L - Title: The Church of St Mary the Virgin Bishops Lydeard
  2. Article  Reference - Title: Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society - Date: 1898 - Journal Title: Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society
  3. Article  Reference - Title: Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society - Date: 1908 - Journal Title: Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society

National Grid Reference: ST 16796 29761

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2014 at 01:07:46.