List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1059161

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES, BRUTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthorityMilton Clevedon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Jun-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 268463

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST63NE VEDON CP BRUTON ROAD (East side, off) 8/249 Church of St. James 2.6.61 GV II*

Anglican parish church, Parts ofer rebuilt 1790, extensively restored cl865. Coursed and squared rubble and ashlar, freestone dressings, tile roofs, coped verges, finials. Nave, chancel, north and south transepts, south porch, west tower, Gothic survival and neo-Perpendicular. Three stage tower with diagonal buttresses, pierced par; pinnacles, 2-light bell-chamber windows, Y-tracery, stone grilles; further 2-light window to west, datestone 1790, inscription plaque, west doorway altered mid C19, early/mid C19 memorial plaque onee bay nave, 3-light traceried pointed-arch windows, north and south doorways, to north blocked, to s set over with figures. Transepts with traceried 2 and 3-light pointed arch windows, parapets with copith a C17 and 2 C18 external monuments. Single bay chancel, 2 and 3-light traceried pointed arch wr plastered on tile, encaustic tile and flagstone floors. Elaborate Cl9 roofs on C19 carved corbels. Pan tower, chancel, and transepts, those to tower and north transept appear entirely C19, whilst chancel arcouth transept appear to be C15. Interior fittings predominantly of the restoration including elaborate d font with cover; pews, choir-stalls, altar rails, reredos with painted decalogue panels, lectern, oil l, small organ, high quality stained glass. Recumbent stone full-sized effigy of 3 priest to north side 325, the face re-cut. Small amount of medieval stained glass to top lights on north transept window pedestal in south transept, inscription, Norman style though probably C18. Jacobean cupboard which appears eated from a small altar table; Jacobean chest; restored C17 chair. Good early C18 wall monument to Susan marble, with central urn under a canopy of curtains, open segmental pediment on fluted pilasters, in high quality lettering. Three C19 wall monuments. Five bells. (Pevsner, N., Buildings of England, South set, l958; Photographs in NMR; SANHS Proceedings, 24, i, 42).

Listing NGR: ST6645637788

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, (), 1
'Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society' in Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, ()

National Grid Reference: ST 66456 37788

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 04:02:04.