List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY

List entry Number: 1058962

Location

CHURCH OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY, CHURCH ROAD, SHAPWICK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSedgemoorDistrict AuthorityShapwick

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 269245

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 06/03/2012

ST43NW 2/17 29.3.63

SHAPWICK CP CHURCH ROAD (North side) Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary

(Formerly listed as Church of St Mary)

GV II*

Anglican Parish Church. Consecrated 1331, some C15 alteration, particularly to tower and West end; restored 1861 by George Gilbert Scott. Coursed and squared rubble and some ashlar, freestone dressings, slate roofs with crested ridges, coped verges with cruciform finials. Decorated and Perpendicular; restoration in a neo-Decorated style. Nave with a heated North vestry, South porch, central tower, chancel. Embattled 2 stage tower, 2-light bell-chamber windows, gargoyles; stair turret to North with embattled octagonal upper stage; South side with 2 further 2-light windows. Two squat 2-stage buttresses on the North and South sides of tower at junction with nave and chancel. Two bay nave, 2 and 3-light windows; 5-light transomed West window, West door. Buttressed vestry with a 2-light window. Buttressed porch, interior benched on flag floor; outer door opening with paired wrought-iron gates; inner door opening with paired plank doors, E-shaped hinges. Two bay chancel, 2-light windows, plain 3-light East window; priests door with restored C15 hinges. Plastered interior on tile floors, marble around altar. Tower on squat double-chamfered arches continued in the piers without interruption. Nave with restored C15 wagon roof; C19 coffered ceiling under tower; chancel with C19 wagon roof. Two C14 piscinae to nave. C15 stone pulpit; C14/C15 style font. Part of detached remains of C17 altar rail, turned balusters; Jacobean table in vestry. Two fine wall monuments of C17 to Bull family of Shapwick Manor (q.v.); to Jane Bull of 1657 with a marble surround, open segmental pediment with achievement, flanking cherubs; to Henry Bull of 1691, broken segmental pediment with achievement, flanking pilasters with emblems of mortality. Five C18 monuments; that to Thomas Strangways of 1766 with urn finial; 9 principal C19 monuments. Remainder of fittings of C19, including pews, choir stalls, lectern, alter rail, ornamental oil lamps on sconces and decalogue plaques flanking tower arch. Achievement on canvas plaque in nave. Much mid/late C19 stained glass, particularly in the chancel.

Listing NGR: ST4177438244

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 41774 38244

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Sep-2014 at 12:15:57.