List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1058957

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSedgemoorDistrict AuthorityAshcott

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 269237

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST43NW ASHCOTT CP HIGH STREET (South side)

2/9 Church of All Saints

29.3.63 GV II*

Anglican Parish Church. Predominantly C15, much C19 alteration, particularly the broadening of the nave in 1831. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, tile and lead-sheeting roofs, some coped verges with cruciform finials. Perpendicular. Nave with south porch, chancel with organ loft and heated vestry. West tower, embattled and of 2 stages, lower stage with diagonal buttresses, 2-light bell-chamber windows, prominant gargoyles; 3-light West window, West door with elaborate hinges, plaque adjacent with arms of Abbot Selwood of Glastonbury Abbey; stair turret to South. Three- bay buttressed nave, 3-light windows, parapet pierced by quatrefoils. Porch with a broad 4-centred arch outer door opening, paired wrought-iron gates; cusped niche set over; inside benched with a flag floor, stoup. Two bay chancel, elaborate 3-light windows. Embattled vestry. Plastered interior on C20 wood block and mosaic floors. Nave with C19 coffered ceiling, chancel with wagon roof. Chancel and tower arches both reconstructed C19, the former shafted. C15 pulpit on C19 stone plinth; Norman tub font; C19 pews, many with C15/C16 traceried ends, also some unusual C16/C17 ends with semi-circular fluting; 6 C18 wall monuments, largest to chancel; 3 C19 wall monuments; Hanoverian Royal Arms; C19 plaque under tower commemorating local charities; C19 chancel screen, organ, choir stalls and stained glass; chancel South window by Kempe of 1889, East window of 1898. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST4371637149

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: ST 43716 37149

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2014 at 09:27:45.