List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TEMPLE AT NGR ST 2515 3421

List entry Number: 1058952

Location

TEMPLE AT NGR ST 2515 3421, HALSWELL PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSedgemoorDistrict AuthorityGoathurst

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Jul-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 269306

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:

ST 23 SE GOATHURST HALSWELL PARK

7/44 Temple at NGR ST 2515 3421 28.7.50

the description shall be amended as follows:

In the first line delete "Early C18" and insert "1767 by Thomas Prowse for Sir Charles Halswell, in memory of Peregrine Palmer, MP for the University of Oxford, who died in 1762."

At the end of the description insert "Country Life, 9 February 1989."

------------------------------------

ST23SE GOATHURST CP HALSWELL PARK

7/44 Temple at NGR ST 2515 3421

28.7.50 II*

Psuedo-peripteral temple. Early C18. Ashlar, slate roof, pedimental end gables, rusticated side walls; architrave, frieze and cornice all round on Ionic columns, 7 along each side elevation, 5 engaged and 2 free-standing forming supports for portico on frontage which faces towards Halswell House (qv); 4 columns across front of portico. Architrave door opening, moulded ledge-hood on brackets, double-panelled doors missing at time of re- survey, (March I1851. Interior with remains of plaster ceiling and ornamental cornice; aedicule to rear wall. Much damage being caused by tree and shrub growth around stylobate. (Pevsner N., Buildings of England, South and West Somrset, 1958; Country Life, Nov 21, 1908; Collinson, Sonerset I, 1791; VCH somerset II, 1911; Garden History, V, 3, 1977; Jones B., Follies and Grottoes, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST2514534213

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Collinson, J, History and Antiquities of the County of Somerset, (1791)
Jones, B, Follies and Grottoes, (1974)
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1911)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)
'Country Life' in 9 February, (1989)
'Country Life' in 21 November, (1908)
'Garden History' in Number 5, , Vol. 3, (1977)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 37 Somerset,

National Grid Reference: ST 25145 34213

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 05:12:04.