List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BARFORD HOUSE AND OUTBUILDING WING AT REAR

List entry Number: 1058941

Location

BARFORD HOUSE AND OUTBUILDING WING AT REAR, BARFORD PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSedgemoorDistrict AuthorityEnmore

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 269274

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST23NW ENMORE CP BARFORD PARK

2/14 Barford House and outbuilding wing at rear 29.3.63 II*

Small country house in a landscaped park. Circa 1710 for Jeanes family on an earlier farmhouse core; altered with added wings and an attic storey c1740; minor late C18 and C19 work; restored post 1958; 2 metal pennants, dated:- "J.G. 1666" and "A.G. 1775". Local red brick of several different hues, Flemish bond, some moulded, rubble core; freestone dressings; slate roofs, some bitumenised, large brick stacks with moulded caps; 2 ridge lanterns, one on a base formed by a brick stack, arcaded with cupola and a pennant, the other conforming though executed in fibreglass. Symmetrical, main block rectangular on plan, flanking quadrant wings; Baroque. Centre portion of 2 storeys and attic, 5 bays, rusticated ashlar quoins to ground and first floor, plinth band, moulded first floor band, moulded and dentilled cornice at attic floor level; attic storey with end pilasters, parapet with moulded capping, corner urns. Twelve-pane sash windows to ground and first floor in moulded cambered head architraves with keys, sills on consoles; 6-pane sash windows in moulded architraves to second floor. Central architrave door opening, triangular pediment on consoles; half- glazed door, paired panelled inner doors. Single storey wings; frieze and moulded cornice, tall parapet with a coping. End elevation of each with a pedimented gable, coping ramped over with pedestal; under each two 12-pane sash windows with thick glazing bars, moulded architraves similar to main block; circular window to tynpanum; brick corner pilasters and pilasters at intervals flanking an arcade of blank semi- circular head niches with emphasised imposts. Returns and rear in plain style; some 12-pane sash windows similar to front, some 2-light casements, some with leaded lights; 2 storey bow. Single storey rubble outbuilding at right angles to rear. Interior with simple cornices; flagged entrance hall; 3 good chimney pieces to ground floor, further C19 chimney piece; dining room with panelled chimney-breast; staircase; 6-panelled doors. (Country Life, November 7, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST2335035883

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: 7 November - Date: 1974 - Journal Title: Country Life

National Grid Reference: ST 23350 35883

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Apr-2014 at 08:18:51.