List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1058917

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSedgemoorDistrict AuthorityNorth Petherton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 269322

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST33SW NORTH PETHERTON CP CHURCH ROAD (North side) NORTH NEWTON

8/60 Church of St. Peter

29.3.63

GV II*

Anglican church. Tower postulated of Saxon origin, altered 1635; remainder completely rebuilt for Rev. Thomas Eaton, 1885. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, coped verges, tile roofs. Nave, chancel, North and South aisles, North vestry, West tower porch. Tower with Perpendicular features, remainder in an Early English style. Tower of 2 stages with a parapet and moulded coping, 2 and 3-light ovolo-moulded stone mullioned windows with labels, leaded lights, slit window to North face on upper stage; 4-centred arch door opening in a moulded surround to West, plank door. Remainder of building with lancets, grouped; buttresses, offsets; vestry with chimney, rose window. Benched porch on flag floor, Jacobean panelling, moulded inner doorway, paired plank doors. Interior plastered on flag and tile floors. Broad chancel arch. Salient features the items of Jacobean furniture including an arcaded rood screen with heavy moulded cornice supported on 4 caryatids, 3 of which are said to represent Three Virtues; carved reader; carved pulpit, dated 1637; carved door to vestry with relief depicting parable of Wise and Foolish Virgins; reredos and altar constructed of re-used panelling; table; 2 carved chairs. Medieval consecration cross on south wall of south aisle. Painting of interior ante restoration by W. Cartright, C17 coffin stool and chest, C19 pews, choir stalls, altar rails and font. Simple C19 stained glass, in Early English style, particularly to chancel. Jacobean work executed for Sir Thomas Wroth (Church Guide; VCH forthcoming).

Listing NGR: ST3010731136

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Church of St Peter Church Guide
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1906)

National Grid Reference: ST 30107 31136

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 06:36:08.