List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1058795

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthorityWest Bradley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Jun-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Oct-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 267672

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEST BRADLEY CP ST53NE WEST BRADLEY VILLAGE 7/198 Church of St Andrew (previously listed as Parish Church) 2.6.61

GV II*

Anglican Parish Church. Predominantly C14/C15, much C19 restoration, particularly the chancel. Coursed and squared lias rubble, slate and asbestos slate roofs, coped verges with cruciform finials. Nave, chancel with an organ loft to north, south porch, west tower; Perpendicular. Unbuttressed 2-stage tower, with a moulded string at its base; 2-light bell chamber windows, embattled parapet, pyramid roof with a cruciform finial; 2-light west window, west door, shallow stair turret to north side, single narrow window. Two bay nave, an ashlar parapet to the north and south sides with a moulded coping; 2-light traceried windows, some tracery renewed. Buttressed porch, elaborately moulded surround to the outer door opening, adjacent a plain stoup, paired C19 inner doors with surface tracery; blocked north doorway. Two bay chancel, much rebuilt with 2-light square headed windows, priest's door; shallow stair turret to a former rood loft on its north side, lancet with a foiled head. Plastered interior on flag stone and encaustic tile floor; walls scraped under tower which has a star-vault; nave with a king post and tie beam roof; unceiled wagon roof to chancel. Single shafted tower arch; typical Perpendicular moulding to the chancel arch. Norman tub font under tower; semi-circular headed piscina, adjacent a C13 moulded corbel; tablet to Danil Avery of 1530 in nave; further tablet of 1812 by T King to chancel. Plain C19 pews, choir stalls and pulpit (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST5578636874

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: ST 55786 36874

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Aug-2014 at 12:03:28.