List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1058792

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, LOTTISHAM ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthorityWest Bradley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Oct-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 267663

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEST BRADLEY CP LOTTISHAM ROAD (East side) ST53NE LOTTISHAM 7/190 Church of St Mary -

- II*

Anglican Parish Church, 1876 by Sir T G Jackson. Blue lias and Ham stone with Doulting dressings, tile roof with a slight bellcast, tile hung timber bellcote over chancel arch with arcading and lourvres, spirelet, weathervane. Nave, south porch, chancel with an organ loft to north. Free Perpendicular and Decorated style in the Arts and Crafts idiom. Two bay nave, 2 and 3-light windows, simple leaded lights; two 2-stage buttresses to west end with offsets, gable face with planted frame; 2:1:2-light west window. Prominent 2-stage buttress between nave and chancel; 2-bay chancel with small windows, 3-light east window with flowing tracery, again the gable face with planted frame. Plank door to nave, small plank door to chancel, elaborate strap hinges. Plastered interior on tile floors; nave with unceiled king-post tie-beam roof with struts and some cusping; chancel with unceiled wagon roof. Chancel arch composed of 2 tie-beam trusses close behind each other, elevated by posts with heavy ogee-arched braces, cusping; these fulfill the double function of supporting the bellcote. Complete set of fittings; simple stained pews and choir stalls with additional seating forded by flapped extensions, some readers pierced in an unusual Art Noveau style much like Mackintosh; pulpit; simple octagonal stone font; C19 organ. A second example in the parish of one of Jackson's relatively few church designs. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 19581).

Listing NGR: ST5703135060

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: ST 57031 35060

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2014 at 07:16:01.