List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1058789

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, HORNBLOTTON

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthorityWest Bradley (DET)

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 02-Jun-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 267655

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST53SE WEST BRADLEY CP HORNBLOTTON 10/182 Church of St Peter

2.6.61

GV 1

Anglican Parish Church. 1872-4 by Sir T G Jackson, for Rector Geoffrey Thring. Has stone, Doulting dressings, tile roofs with stone tiles to the eaves, coped verges with floral finials, tile hung tower with a timber sub-structure to the upper part, tiled broached spire with a pennant; glazed wooden arcade directly below, a small clock inset to the west side. Geometric and Early English style of late C14-early C15. Nave, south porch, combined vestry and organ loft, chancel, west tower. The tower with a 2-light west window, lancets on its north and south sides; recessed west door between buttresses. Two bay nave, 2-light windows, buttresses; 2-bay chancel with lancets; shafted 5-light east window; stopped labels. Porch with columns to outer door opening, plank door with elaborate strap hinges. Interior as designed and complete; covered in fine sgraffito executed in strawberry and cream plaster; sunflowers, branches, texts and figures on all walls. Over west door, Isiah and Jeremiah; under tower, Moses; over chancel arch, The Annunciation; in chancel, 2 angels; in the porch, texts. Tile floors, those to chancel pavement glazed and patterned. Collar truss and king-post roof to nave on corbels, wagon roof to chancel. Chancel arch in Early English style. Alabaster reredos with figures of the Evangelists on enamel tiles. Inlaid oak pulpit lectern, altar and choir stalls; altar rails and pews co-eval. Narrow doorway to the vestry with a blank cusped head incorporating a carved relief of Christ, inlaid door; inside a C15 piscina and a C18 monument incorporated from the old church. Norman tub font under the tower. Stained glass to chancel, east window The Crucifiction of 1874, west window 1874, by Powell and Sons who were also responsible for chancel pavement. C19 organ. The building remains virtually unaltered and a rare example of Jackson's church design. (Clarke B F L, Church Builders of the Nineteenth Century, 1938; Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST5915334154

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Clarke, B F L , Church Builders of the Nineteenth Century, (1938)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 59149 34151

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 12:06:47.