List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

List entry Number: 1058773

Location

CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthorityButleigh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 267722

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BUTLEIGH CP HIGH STREET (North side) ST53SW

11/9 Church of St. Leonard 17/9

22.11.66

GV II*

Anglican Parish Church. C14, much restored and extended mid C19 by J. C. Buckler. Coursed and squared lias rubble, some ashlar, freestone dressings, stone-tiled roofs, some clay tiles, moulded stone eaves cornices, coped verges with finials. Nave with South porch, North aisle, North chapel, crossing tower with North and South transept chapels, that to North now a vestry, chancel. Predominantly Decorated with some Perpendicular features; C19 work in a Decorated style. Embattled tower with simple 2-light bell-chamber windows, stair turret to north-east corner. Three bay nave with 2 and 3-light windows to South, that adjacent West end with original tracery, renewed cusped rere-arches; 6-light transomed window to West end; directly below a door. South porch with a simple and apparently unrestored shafted outer door opening, inner door with elaborate medievalising ironwork. Three bay North aisle of c1859, rose window at its West end; North chapel with elaborate North window with a cusped transom, inner reveal carved with vines and heraldic shields. Transepts of 1851 with 3-light North and South windows and lancets; 2 bay chancel, small 2-light windows, 3-light East window. Plastered interior on encaustic tile and flag floors, elaborate cast-iron heater gratings. Tower stands on low arches with bold mouldings, those to North and South appear much renewed; vault with ribs and ridge-ribs on corbels; Decorated arch to North chapel; 2 bay arcade to North aisle, broad squat arches. Roofs all C19; hammerbeam to nave, lean-to with arch- bracing to North aisle, wagon to North chapel, transepts with arch-braces, wagon to chancel, painted and gilded above altar. Octagonal C15 font on a shafted base, the panels of the bowl with emblems of the Trinity. Remainder of fittings predominantly late C19; pews with carved ends in C15 style; elaborate choir stalls, ends with poppy heads; gilded altar and reredos; 2 screens; aumbry in a cusped surround, door with intricate ironwork; pulpit; lectern; organ. Jacobean altar table to North aisle. Three kneeling figures from an Elizabethan tomb to North chapel. North aisle with a series of memorials to Neville-Grenville family; monument to Thomas Symcocks of 1624 to North chapel; nave with C19 brass plaques; South transept with Hood monuments, the largest by Lucius Gahagan of Bath of early C19 to 3 brothers including Admiral Hood, at its foot relief of a sea battle, shafts each side ascending to an ogee arch. such mid/late C19 stained glass; south window of nave 1851 by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin; South transcept 1853 by Ward and Nixon; east window 1829 by Willement; West window with remains of some medieval glass. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST5200333922

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 52003 33922

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 12:26:40.