List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1058750

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, ST MARY'S ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthorityMeare

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 267766

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MEARE CP ST. MARY'S ROAD (North side) ST44SE

3/51 Church of St. Mary

22.11.66

GV I

Anglican Parish Church. Formerly in keeping of Glastonbury Abbey; dedicated 1323 for Abbot Adam of Sodbury; nave with aisles C15 for Abbot Selwood (1456-93), completed c1494 for Abbot Beere; cast-iron rainwater head dated:- "1896" marking a restoration. Coursed and squared rubble, some ashlar, freestone dressings, stucco to chancel, lead sheeting and slate roofs, coped verges with cruciform finials. Nave with clerestory, North and South aisles, South porch, chancel with North vestry, West tower. Decorated and Perpendicular. Two stage unbuttressed and embattled tower; pyramidal roof; simple 2-light bell-chamber windows, octagonal stair turret, gargoyles, 3-light perpendicular west window, West door. Three bay nave and aisles, buttresses; each with a plain ashlar parapet, originally the aisles surmounted by an interlace of pointed quatrefoils in lozenges, that to South side of south aisle completely missing; and that to North side of North aisle and West end partly missing; East end of South aisle incorporating arms of Abbot Selwood, gargoyles. Aisles with 3-light windows; 3-light windows to clerestory, iron stanchion and saddle bars. Porch with chamfered outer door opening, 4-centred arch head, plank door with elaborate hinges, the scrolls issuing from a "cuff", ascribed to C14; above a sundial. Two bay chancel, 2-light Decorated windows, renewed tracery; further Perpendicular 3-light window; unusual 3-light East window: 3 lancet lights of which the middle is lower, a spheric quadrangle cusped into 3 trefoils set above; carved heads as label stops; buttresses; priests door. Vestry with a 2-light lancet, Y-tracery. Plastered interior on flag floors; nave with arcades with slender piers of 4-hollows moulding; tower arch with bold C14 moulding; chancel arch Perpendicular with angels as capitals; squint. Elaborate panelled roof to nave with bosses, corbels carved as angels, that to South-east with arms of Abbot Beere; C19 wagon roofs to aisles, again on angelic corbels, one in South aisle with masons name:- "John Jackman"; chancel with elaborate queen-post roof, arch-bracing up to collar beam, 3 tiers of cusped windbraces; Octagonal Decorated font with a series of bold mouldings; fine Perpendicular stone pulpit. Perpendicular alms box on pedestal; piscina; chest dated 1705; 2 Jacobean coffin stools; C19 pews and choir stalls; fine brass lectern of 1916; brass branch dated 1777. C17 and C18 tablets to chancel floor, 2 further C19 wall monuments. C19 stained glass to South aisle and West window; East window of The Crucifixion post 1855; 2 further windows to chancel post 1871 by C.A. Cibbs; further traces of medieval glass to the South aisle windows. Royal arms of 1840 under tower, also a painting of Christ. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST4553841706

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 45538 41707

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 06:37:16.