List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE LESS

List entry Number: 1058709

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE LESS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthorityHemington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Mar-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 267874

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HEMINGTON CP ST75NW FOXCOTE 2/91 Church of St. James The Less 11.3.68

GV II*

Anglican Church, now redundant. Early C18 incorporating C15/C16 turret. Coursed and squared rubble and ashlar, moulded cornice, parapet with coping, slate roof, coped verges. Nave, chancel, west bell turret. Classical/Palladian, emphasis placed upon entrance front; Perpendicular turret. Two bay nave with rusticated quoins, semi-circular head windows with emphasised keys and imposts, diamond-paned leaded lights. Door opening with segmental pediment on Roman-Doric half-columns, 6-panelled door; 2 bay chancel of lower height, rusticated quoins; windows similar to nave with square-paned leaded lights. Small 2-stage embattled turret, corner pinnacles, narrow plain bell-chamber openings, semi-circular head east window. Interior plastered on tile and flagstone floors; coved plaster ceilings with moulded cornices; emphasised surrounds to windows. Jacobean altar table, altar rail and chair. Panelled C18 pulpit with carving. C19 pews, lectern and font. Fine set C18 wall monuments; to William Ponting of 1708 with segmental pediment; to John Smith of 1714 in marble surround; to Richard Ponting of 1715 in bolection moulded surround; to Thomas Fisher of 1719 with achievement set over, to Robert Smith of 1769 with weeping cherub; to Hannah Orange in marble with segmental pediment. Slab to Sarah Weaver of 1718; early C19 wall monument. Two C17 coffin stools. South-east corner of exterior with inscription.

Listing NGR: ST7155555570

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 71555 55570

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 09:53:08.