List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1058641

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthorityBinegar

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Jun-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 268021

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST64NW BINEGAR CP BINEGAR VILLAGE VILLAGE 12/1 Church of the Holy Trinity 2.6.61

GV II*

Anglican Parish Church. Norman establishment, rebuilt C15, rebuilt, except tower, 1858 for Rev William Heade. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, asbestos slate roofs, coped verges with finials. Wave, chancel, north transept, north organ chamber, north vestry, south porch, west tower. Perpendicular tower, remainder in Middle Pointed style. Three stage tower with diagonal buttresses rising to crenellated pinnacles, embattled parapet with an arcade of blind foiled niches, to west carved Trinity, polygonal stair turret to north with crenellated capping, 2-light bell-chamber windows with louvres, 2-light west window with renewed tracery, label, west door. Three bay nave, single and 2-light windows. Gabled porch. Two bay chancel, one, 2 and 3-light windows, to east with geometrical tracery. Interior plastered on flagstone floors, encaustic tile pavement to chancel. Triple-chamfered tower arch; moulded chancel arch on carved springers. C15 octagonal font; small Jacobean altar table; medieval stoup built into vestry wall. Remainder of fittings late Cl9 including choir stalls, altar rails, lectern, organ, pulpit and oil lamps. Pews of 1903. Stained glass to east window of 1913, remainder of windows with plain leaded lights. Cartouche of 1736; 5 main C19 wall monuments. Three early bells. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, North Somerset and Bristol, 1958; Church Guide).

Listing NGR: ST6153749454

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Church of the Holy Trinity Church Guide
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 61537 49454

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 11:12:45.