List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

List entry Number: 1057984

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetWest SomersetDistrict AuthorityBrompton Regis

National Park: EXMOOR

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Apr-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 265622

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS93SE BROMPTON REGIS CP

WITHIEL FLOREY

4/34 Church of St Mary Magdalene

6.4.59

GV II

Parish church. C12 in origin, C15 nave lengthened, tower and porch added, 1848 vestry added. Roughcast over flat bedded lias, red sandstone dressings, slate roofs, plain verges. West tower without stair turret, 2-bay nave with rood stair projection, south porch, 2-storey vestry with access to pulpit, single storey vestry opening out of chancel and containing organ, 2-bay chancel. Crenellated 2-stage diagonally buttressed tower, string courses, west front lit only by C19 3-light west window, north front 2-light trefoil headed louvred bell-opening, south front 2 small rectangular openings in upper stage, other openings possibly concealed beneath roughcast, 2-light window left of gabled single storey porch, pointed arch opening with C19 corbelled and ribbed inner arch, plastered barrel vault with moulded ribs, bosses and wallplate, segmental headed inner doorway, remains of medieval door with medieval iron work, tablet in gable end dated 1695. 3-light window right, rood stair projection with lancet, 2-light windows to diagonally buttressed chancel, chamfered, semi-circular headed priest's door, 3-light east window, vestry with lancet at east end, C20 half glazed door to upper room presumably over basement, 2-light C15 trefoil headed window right partially cut by vestry additon, otherwise north wall unlit with large rubble buttress. Interior: rendered. Nave walls very thick and splayed out. C19 pointed chancel arch, moulded 4-centered tower arch. Roofs: C19 arch braced roof on corbels to chancel, shallow plastered wagon roof to nave. Circular Norman font. C19 fittings including pulpit, harmonium, wrought iron altar rails, 2 wrought iron lamp holders in sanctuary and 4 corona lamp holders with crested decoration suspended by chains and still used to light the church. Mid C18 pedimented marble tablet with volutes and palm leaf decoration to the Bryant family. Access to the puipit is via the small meeting room on the north front. (Photograph in NMR).

Listing NGR: SS9868933280

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SS 98689 33280

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 08:53:18.