List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1057972

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetWest SomersetDistrict AuthorityBrompton Ralph

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-May-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 265590

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST03SE BROMPTON RALPH CP BROMPTON RAPH VILLAGE 6/4 Church of St Mary 22.5.69

GV II*

Parish church. C15 tower and south door, nave refenestrated and vestry added C16, church said to be largely rebuilt l738, tower restored 1797 and 1804, north aisle added 1847, chancel rebuilt, church reroofed and restored 1881 by Samuel Shewbroors of Taunton, builder. Red sandstone random rubble, rendered in part, red sandstone dressings, slate roofs, caper verges. West tower, 4-bay nave with north aisle, south porch, north-east vestry and chancel. Crenellateo 3-stage tower, diagonal buttresses, 2-light trefoil headed bell openings with Somerset tracery, string course, lancet on south face, string course, 2-light west window, no west door, stair turret in north-east corner; south front with C19 hoodmoulds, lancet to left of single storey gabled porch, pointed arched opening chamfered in 2 orders and dying into imposts, pointed arch inner doorway, chamfered in 2 orders, right large C16 4-light cinquefoil headed mullioned window with moulded surround, to right long C19 window, large buttress, 2-light windows with quatrefoil decoration to spandrels in diagonally buttressed chancel, 3-light east window, 2-light mullioned window with decorated spandrels in vestry, pointed arch doorway on north front, butt-joint at junction with north aisle, four 2-light windows between buttresses. Interior: rendered. C19 chancel arch, double chamfered jambs, largely obscured by screen but letters BOA visible on south jamb, CHIN on north jamb, C19 arcade with pointed arches chamfered in 2 orders and clustered columns; tower arch pointed and chamfered; chamfered and pointed arch to turret stair with late medieval studded plank door with long hinges. C19 roofs, boarded barrel vault to chancel, arch braced to nave, lean-to roof in aisle with archbracing resting on corbels. Late medieval rood screen of 3:2:3 bays partly reconstructed to design by F Bligh Bond, executed by A C Toms in memory of Robert Toms 1963. Jacobean panelling used as reredos. Rare example of dated altar rails, turned balusters and moulded handrail inscribed "Edward Hobbes Gent and Roger Bishop Churchwardens Anno Domini 1667". C17 chest. C16 benches in nave, detached piece of wood dated 1596, benches in north aisle C19 copies. Late C18-early C19 panelled pulpit. Octagonal font with carved panels of decoration on bowl and one panel begun at base of bowl, said to be C16; C17 flat ribbed cover. Two painted boards dated 1821 with names of churchwardens and the Ten Commandments; another wooden board detailing the 1881 restoration. Memorial tablet with draped urn signed T King of Bath to Thomas Canplin died 1780: tablet to Meredith Powell died 1642. Carving chair with coat of arms in sanctuary, possibly C18. Organ said to have been inserted 1910. The design by Bligh Bond for restoration of screen with or without attic is hung in vestry. The VCH comments that there is no evidence to support Pevsner's assertion that the architect of the 1881 rebuilding was one H Parsons. (VCH Somerset, Vol V, 1985; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958)

Listing NGR: ST0850432347

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1985)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 08504 32347

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 04:51:07.