List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ALMSHOUSES AND CHAPEL OF ST MARY MAGDALENE'S HOSPITAL

List entry Number: 1057909

Location

ALMSHOUSES AND CHAPEL OF ST MARY MAGDALENE'S HOSPITAL, MAGDALENE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthorityGlastonbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Mar-1974

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 265986

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MAGDALENE STREET 1. 1133 (West Side) Almshouses and Chapel of St Mary Magdalene's Hospital (formerly listed as St Mary's Almshouses) ST 4938 7/81 21.6.50. II* 2. Founded before 1322 to house 10 poor men. The present buildings seem mostly late medieval. The chapel, east wall and gable of hall with bell-cote, the west wall and lower part of west gable survive. Originally the chapel opened out of the east end of a great hall. The roof of this hall is thought to have been removed after the Dissolution, and 2 rows of little houses were built facing a narrow central passage. Only the north range survives with entrance from street through an arch in east end. 5 houses in range. 2 storeys. Random rubble. Slate roof. Chimney-stack at west end. 5 windows. Paired wood casements to left and paired mullioned windows to right. 5 doorways (2 blocked) with arched heads. Plain wooden doors. The chapel is basically Perp with a single lancet (blocked) in east wall. Slate roof, lowered in pitch. Tiny 3-light windows under rectangular hoodmoulds. Small piscina and boarded roof with paterae inside. Pointed west arch with double wooden doors.

Listing NGR: ST4987238660

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 49882 38661

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 01:15:28.