List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHRIST CHURCH

List entry Number: 1057853

Location

CHRIST CHURCH, CHRISTCHURCH STREET WEST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthorityFrome

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Jul-1949

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 266139

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5363 CHRISTCHURCH STREET WEST (South-West side)

ST 7747 NW 9/2 GV Christ Church 22.7.49 Christ Church II*

2. Original church built 1817-1818, architect G A Underwood. Refenestrated 1840s by Manners and Gill; east extension 1904-05 by W George Brown; south transept 1899; "North transept" 1929 by Sir Harold Brakespeare. Rubble built. The 1818 church was an aisled nave with crenellated east tower with clasping buttresses. Perpendicular style, traceried openwork parapets (and verges to east), pinnacles and gargoyles over buttresses (1851). Cruciform plan. 4 bays, tracery based on that of Yatton (near Bristol), 2 smaller flanking bays (the right hand one had door with crocketted ogee label). South transept has ogee capped bell turret; gabled east chapel. Projecting later chancel (Lady Chapel built 1929) with clasping octagonal buttresses, cornice and ashlar parapet. West front: projecting side buttresses clasping nave end south aisle corners, pinnacles to aisle, blind panels to nave. Large central Perpendicular style window (1865) above which is corbel for former finial. Gothic panelled doors (1918). One original 'Y' tracery window retained at west end of south aisle. Interior: piers of arcade reinforced but still quadrilobe. Good carved oak altar placed under tower with decorated reredos, flanking sedilia and panelled arcade. Large rood of 1910. A number of minor wall monuments. The graveyard has a number of plain railed graves, one is oval shaped and has ornamental iron overthrow inscribed in memory of Thomas Bunn (died 1853), a prominent local worthy. (See Church Guide by D J Gill).

Listing NGR: ST7733547865

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Gill, DJ - Title: Church Guide of Christ Church Frome

National Grid Reference: ST 77335 47865

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Aug-2014 at 03:13:54.