List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HOPE CHAPEL AND PARSONS HOUSE PARSON'S HOUSE

List entry Number: 1057694

Location

HOPE CHAPEL AND PARSONS HOUSE, HOPE STREET
PARSON'S HOUSE, 21, WILSON STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
RochdaleMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Feb-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 358900

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 8913 NE ROCHDALE HOPE STREET

10/72 Hope Chapel and Parsons House

G.V. II*

Includes Parson's House No. 21 Wilson Street. Chapel and Parson's house (now caretakers house). 1810, extended towards Hope Street in 1848, datestones to front and rear. Brick with rendering in places, stone dressings and slate roof. Meeting hall with four-sided gallery the organ being housed on the fourth side with vestry beneath. The central door opens into a hall which gives access to the balconies by means of side stairs. The parson's house is attached to the Wilson Street end. 2 storeys, 3 bays, stone plinth and banding, two tiers of windows under giant arches with moulded architrave, keystone and stone panel separating the windows. There were formerly two door openings to either side of the central window but is now a central one. Stone cornice and parapet. Side elevation: the double gable defines the building of 1810 right and 1848 left. The parson's house is of 2 bays and 3 storeys, built at two dates, with stone sills and lintels and a hipped roof. The interior fittings are in excellent condition and include communion rail with cast iron balusters, central pulpit, box pews which curve round three sides of auditorium and gallery, panelled gallery supported on cast-iron columns with foliated capital and organ. Most would appear to date from 1845. John Kershaw was the founder; there is a memorial to him on the west wall.

Listing NGR: SD8964213919

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 89642 13919

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Aug-2014 at 07:33:52.