List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

List entry Number: 1057601

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetWest SomersetDistrict AuthorityElworthy

National Park: EXMOOR

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-May-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 264761

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST03SE ELWORTHY CP

8/4 Church of St Martin

22.5.69

GV II* Parish church, now redundant. C13 tower, porch and nave roof late C15, chancel rebuilt 1695 and again in 1846 when nave restored and organ chamber added, church declared redundant 1979. Red sandstone random rubble, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges. West tower, 3 bay nave, South organ chamber, chancel and rood loft stair projection. Lower 2-stage crenellated tower, unbuttressed, 2 square bell openings, lancet, entrance at first floor level by flight of steps on South side, wooden chamfered 4 centred arch doorcase with renewed studded plank door. Buttressed, single storey, gabled porch, moulded arched entrance, split at apex and subsiding, chamfered arched inner doorway, C19 door; lancet to right in nave, South front two 2-light windows, another 2-light to organ chamber projection, 3-light East window, chancel with diagonal buttresses, rood loft stair projection at junction with nave North face, 2-light window to left of porch. Interior: rendered. C19 pointed chancel arch, similar to organ chamber, unmoulded round tower arch. C19 barrel vault to chancel, late C15 ribbed plaster barrel vault to nave. Mid C17 alabaster font, Jacobean pulpit, late C17 turned baluster altar rails and table, some C17 stained glass in window, C19 screen incorporating frieze: "0 lord Prepare Our Arts to Praye Anno 1632" and some C17 tracery. C16 bench ends attached to choir stalls. Slate tomb slab in nave to Mary Green died January 19th, 1718/l9. (VCH Somerset, vol 5, forthcoming; Photographs in NMR).

Listing NGR: ST0828934964

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Dunning, R W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Somerset - Date: 1985 - Volume: 5

National Grid Reference: ST 08289 34964

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 11:31:53.