List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH HOUSE AND POUND ADJOINING TO NORTH WEST

List entry Number: 1057446

Location

CHURCH HOUSE AND POUND ADJOINING TO NORTH WEST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetWest SomersetDistrict AuthorityCrowcombe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-May-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 265100

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST1436 CROWCOMBE CP

16/57 Church House and Pound adjoining to North West

22.5.69

GV II*

Church house and pound. Circa 1515, restored 1908. Red sandstone random rubble, Has stone dressings, slate roof, coped verges, stone stack right. 2 storeys, 4 bays, all windows 2-light hollow chamfered, stone mullions with leaded panes, coved string course, ground floor three windows to right and one to left of pair of 4 centred arch doorways, moulded architraves, with early C20 plank doors and decorative hinges. External stone stair on left return gives access to first floor. Interior: fine 7 bay arch braced collar purlin roof with 3 tiers of curved wind braces. Right return red sandstone rubble wall about 2 metres high with 'hit and miss' coping encloses the pound fall swept up over depressed arch entrance with rusticated voussoirs. C20 wooden gate set on forth East side. Wall returned to Church House, Church House is a Scheduled Ancient Monument (Somerset County No.27). (VCH Somerset, Vol.5, forthcoming; Photograph in NMR).

Listing NGR: ST1403636677

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1985)

National Grid Reference: ST 14033 36678

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 03:23:25.