List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1057410

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetWest SomersetDistrict AuthorityEast Quantoxhead

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-May-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 265121

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST1343 EAST QUANTOXHEAD CP

13/75 Church of Saint Mary

22.5.69

GV II*

Parish Church. C14, refenestrated early C15, restored and redecorated 1698, vestry added, chancel partly rebuilt and church restored 1860. Blue lias random rubble, sandstone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges. 2 bay nave, chancel, North East vestry, South porch, West tower. 3 stage crenellated tower, diagonal buttresses, 2-light bell openings, tiny lancet below string course, 3-light West window, square crenellated stair turret North West corner. South front 2-light windows flanking porch with 2-light octagonal chamfered aullioned window set below eaves right, gabled porch, chamfered arched opening, holy water stoop and lancet on East wall, chamfered 4 centred arch door, chancel 2-light mullioned window with hood mould and 2-light arched window flanking priest's door with scratch dial to right, 3-light East window, 2-light window under East wall of vestry, North front of nave two 2-light windows. Interior: unplastered. C19 arch braced chancel roof, ribbed and plastered barrel vault to nave. C19 pointed chancel arch, 4 centred arch doorway to vestry in reset plank and muntin screen; vestry on site of earlier chancel aisle. Tower arch moulded in 2 orders with ogee headed stair turret door. Blocked 4 centred arch door to rood loft, blocked rood loft, opening above and another blocked door centre North nave wall. Rood screen day be C14 in part, restored C19. originally had large loft, fine set early C16 bench ends, pulpit dated 1633, Jacobean newel turned alter rails, canopy tomb North wall of chancel to Hugh Luttrell, died 1522 and his son Andrew, died 1538. (Photograph in NMR; Kelly's Directory 1902; VCH Somerset Vol S forthcoming).

Listing NGR: ST1364143656

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Kelly's Directory - Date: 1902 - Journal Title: Kelly's Directory
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Dunning, R W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Somerset - Date: 1985 - Volume: 5

National Grid Reference: ST 13641 43656

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2014 at 06:40:13.