List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MARSHWOOD FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1057364

Location

MARSHWOOD FARMHOUSE, WOOD LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetWest SomersetDistrict AuthorityCarhampton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-May-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 265311

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST04SW CARHAMPTON CP WOOD LANE Blue Anchor

8/29 Marshwood Farmhouse

22.5.69

- II*

Manor house or grange, now farmhouse. Late C15, late C16-early C17 north-east and north-west wings added, hall ceiled and plasterwork decoration, subsequently front wall raised, porch added, altered C18, 1883 roof reslated, 1955 extension to rear of north east wing demolished, restored late C20. Roughcast over rubble, quoins to porch, asbestos slate roofs hipped to right, decorative ridge tiles, brick stack left gable end, tall brick stack rising from eaves, rebuilt stone stack in north-east wing. Plan; open hall ceiled to 3 cell, stair turret and north-west and north-east wings. Two storeys, 3:1:2:2 bays; all C20 casements except in porch and north-east wing, three 3-light casements left of porch, 3-light stone ovolo moulded mullioned window in gabled full height porch, two 3-light windows right, set back wing with part of mullioned window under hood mould cut with another window opening beyond, ground floor 3-light windows left flanking C20 half-glazed door, two 3-light right of porch, raking buttresses, ground floor of wing masked by additions; moulded Ham stone semi-circular headed opening with imposts to porch, inside 2 reset plasterwork panels, said to have come from Dunster Castle, unidentified allegorical scene left, Sacrifice of Isaac right, moulded Tudor arch head doorway, studded plank door with long hinges. Rear elevation: 2 stone ovolo moulded 3-light mullioned windows. Interior; porch opens into 18-panel framed compartment ceiling divided by later partitions, moulded frame to winder stairs with newel post opening off central hall; north west wing, now dairy, contains plasterwork overmantel with heraldic device between supporters above a Ham stone moulded Tudor arch head fireplace similar but more ornate overmantel on first floor said to display the arcs of lane Popham who carried Thomas Lutterell in 1621; barrel vaulted bedroom ceiling with plasterwork decoration in the tympana, some concealed in roof space, An interesting and complex building. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, January 1981; Photographs in NMR Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST0224742950

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: January - Date: 1982 - Journal Title: Vernacular Architecture Group Report
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: ST 02247 42950

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Aug-2014 at 08:05:25.