List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1057328

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetWest SomersetDistrict AuthorityLuccombe

National Park: EXMOOR

Grade: I

Date first listed: 22-May-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 265328

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS9144 LUCCOMBE CP LUCCOMBE VILLAGE

14/45 Church of St Mary

22.5.69

GV I

Parish church. Circa 1300 chancel, c1450 nave and tower, cl530 aisle added, 1752-6 gallery added, removed 1840 when church restored and vestry added, 1895 some of the earlier restoration removed, church restored and reseated by Edmund Buckle. Roughcast, except for vestry of squared red sandstone and tower of random rubble red sandstone, slate roofs. Four bay nave and one bay chancel without division, 4 bay south aisle. North porch, west tower and north east vestry, 3-stage crenellated tower, unbuttressed, gargoyles and string courses, 2-light trefoil headed louvred bell-openings with hood mould, trefoil headed lancet above 3-light west window, west door moulded pointed arch head, crenellated stair turret in south east corner, 2-light ogee headed mullioned window west end of buttressed south aisle, four 3-light windows renewed C19, blocked Tudor arch head doorway, east end 2 x 4-light cinquefoil headed window, lancet to south wall of buttressed chancel, 3-light east window, lancet on north front, 2-light window to vestry with priest's door, 2 and 3-light windows left of single storey gabled porch, diagonal buttresses, moulded pointed arch opening, lancet on returns, open wagon roof partly renewed, remains of holy water stoup right and pair of lugged holy water stoups flanking inner door installed 1975, empty niche above, 3-light window to right. Interior: whitewashed. No chancel arch, Perpendicular pointed tower arch. C20 roof to tower, chancel nave and aisle ceiled wagon roofs with bosses and wallplates, Perpendicular arcade, capitals carved with vineleaves and shields. Moulded piscina in south aisle, chamfered trefoil headed piscina in chancel, trefoil headed single bay sedila in chancel, 2 irregularly placed brackets in east wall of aisle cut into moulded jambs of rood stair opening. Remains of early C16 English and Flemish glass, removed from church during 1840 restoration and reset in east window of aisle 1935; late C19 pastel tinted glass in aisle, east window dated 1885. Early C16 table tomb in south aisle, Ham stone, flat topped, carved with leaves and flowers and shields. (It has been sugested that it was originally an Easter sepulchre). Perpendicular octagonal font; c1840 crocketed pyramid font cover raised by pulley attached to jamb of tower arch. Jacobean pulpit. C17 chair. Fine brass to William Harrison, died 1615 in front of chancel. Marble tablet with broken pediment and alabaster coat of arms to Elizabeth Stawell, died 1731. Neo-classical tablet to the Rev Robert Freke Gould, died 1839, with amphorae in the surround. Early C17 tablet with segmental pediment and Ionic columns, apron with skull, to Richard Worth. Slate tablet to Henry Byam died 1665, inscribed in Latin with details of his eventful life, bolection moulded surround, coat of arms above, skull below. (Photograph in NMR; SANHS Proceedings, Vol 77, 1931; Chadwick-Healey, A History of the Part of West Somerset, i10il.

Listing NGR: SS9109444521

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Healey, C - Title: The History of the Part of West Somerset - Date: 1901
  2. Article  Reference - Title: Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society - Date: 1931 - Journal Title: Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society

National Grid Reference: SS 91090 44521

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2014 at 07:25:13.