List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

List entry Number: 1057319

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, CHURCH HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetWest SomersetDistrict AuthorityExford

National Park: EXMOOR

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Apr-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 265416

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



SS83NE EXFORD CP CHURCH HILL (North side) 13/3 Church of St Mary Magdalene 6.4.69

GV II*

Parish church. Tower mid C15, south aisle 1532-42, nave and chancel largely rebuilt and porch added 1867, church restored 1893, vestry screen added 1924, organ presented 1924, pulpit 1929, medieval screen reassembled 1929. Red sandstone random rubble, coursed on tower, slate hung west end of aisle, slate roofs, decorative ridge tiles to aisle only, no coped verges except to porch. West tower, 3-bay nave, 4-bay south aisle, south porch and chancel. Crenellated 3-stage tower, moulded plinth, full height diagonal buttresses, moulded string courses, trefoil headed 2-light louvred bell openings, 3-light west window with angel and devil terminals to hood mould and angel above, carved hood moulds to 4-centred arch head west doorway, north-east crenellated stair turret; south aisle 3-light cinquefoil headed mullions, one left and 2 right of single storey gabled and unbuttressed C19 porch, pointed arch opening with colonettes, moulded pointed arch inner doorway with C19 door; stepped buttress between second and third bays, 3-light east window to aisle, south chancel wall unlit, 5-light east window, three 3-light windows on north front, chancel buttressed. Interior: rendered. Four-bay Perpendicular arcade of clustered columns with vineleaf decorated capitals. No chancel arch; chamfered, semi-circular tower arch filled by panelled screen dated 1923 forming vestry. C19 arch braced roofs. C19 auabry and stone reredos. Organ in eastern end of south aisle designed by Sir Niniam Comper with painted Giorgionesque panels from a private house, presented 1924. Good Perpendicular octagonal font. Parish chest dated in studs 1772. Tablet to Robert Baker died 1730. C15 screen from the demolished medieval church of St Audries, West Quantoxhead, fanvaulted with remains of 4 friezes, 6 and 2 half bays with double doors, ressembled 1929. Formerly known as the Church of St Salvyn. (Photograph in NMR; Kelly's Directory, 1906; Allen, The Churches and Chapels of Exmoor, 1974).

Listing NGR: SS8576538503

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Allen, NV - Title: The Churches and Chapels of Exmoor - Date: 1974
  2. Article  Reference - Title: Kelly's Directory - Date: 1906 - Journal Title: Kelly's Directory

National Grid Reference: SS 85765 38503

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Apr-2014 at 03:44:51.