List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WESTON HOUSE

List entry Number: 1057208

Location

WESTON HOUSE, WESTON STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityEast Chinnock

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Aug-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 263634

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST41SE EAST CHINNOCK CP WESTON STREET (West side)

3/76 Weston House (formerly listed as Weston Farm House 19.4.61

GV II*

Farmhouse. Dated 1637. Local stone rubble with Ham stone dressings; stone slate roof between coped gables; stone end and centre chimney stacks, the outer new in random stone, the centre in ashlar with moulded cap. Two-storeys with attic, 4 bays. Plinthed; ovolo mould mullioned windows, several iron bars behind glass, of 4-lights below and 3-lights above, all with labels; entrance door between bays-2 and 3 is modern boarded, but set in moulded cambered archway and protected by C19 porch. Partial C17 outshut to rear, also a projecting wing; C20 windows in West gable wall, but C17 windows to first floor and attic in East gable wall. Rear elevation has C17 porch with inscription (rearranged) R AND G ME FECIT 1637 on door lintel. Interior not seen, but reported are several C17 fireplaces, over one of which on the first floor is the inscription RICHARDUS BATT ET GRACIA UXOR EIUS HANC AEDEM STROXERUNT ANNO DNI 1637; ceiling beams with chamfers and scroll steps, and stud and panel partition to cross passage. Richard Batt was Steward to the Portman family, major landowners in the area. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, 1972.)<1

Listing NGR: ST4925813411

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Vernacular Architecture Group Report' in Vernacular Architecture Group Report, (1972)

National Grid Reference: ST 49258 13411

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 06:06:39.