List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1057052

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityIlton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 263975

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ILTON CP CHURCH ROAD (East side, off) ST31NE

3/75 Church of St. Peter

4.2.58

GV II*

Anglican parish church. Some C12 and C13 fragments, mostly C14, restored 1860, with chancel rebuilt and north aisle chapel added by J.M. Allen. Local stone rubble, some cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; Welsh slate roofs between coped gables, with stone slate base courses to nave, sheet lead to north aisle. Five-cell plan of 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave, south transept, 3-bay north aisle and 2-bay north aisle chapel, with south tower incorporating porch. Chancel has plinth, eaves course and angled corner buttresses; east window a C19 3-light Geometric traceried with label; side windows are 2- light reticulated tracery, one on north and two on south side with chamfered pointed-arched doorway with label between; in south west angle with transept a low octagonal-plan extension with steeply hipped lead sheet roof and cusped lancet windows, probably C19. forth aisle chapel has plinth, corner buttresses, with a late C15 style east window having headstop label; in north wall one window to match chancel side windows, possibly a re-use from there. North aisle has tall double plinth, bay buttresses and pairs of offset buttresses to north-west corner; three C15 style 2-light windows in slightly hollowed recesses in north wall and one to west. South transept has no plinth, angled corner buttresses; a 3-light C19 traceried window with label in south gable, and,2-light to match, probably C15, in east wall. Nave visible only at west end, with plinth, pair of offset corner buttresses, with one window in south wall matching those of north aisle; in west gable a tall moulded pointed-arched doorway without label, with late C19 3-light window over set in hollowed recess under headstop label. Tower may have C12 base, now rendered; 2 stages; small angled south-east corner buttress: in south face a moulded pointed-arched doorway with headstop label, and small 2-light double-cusped lancet window over, above which is a stone sundial; on west side a single cusped lancet at low level and slim lancet above; string mould divides second stage, which has a low plain parapet, and one 2-light C15 style window with stone louvres to each face. Interior not accessible, but noted or reported are rere-arches to the chancel window and elaborately cusped rere-arches in the south transept, C15 chancel and transept arches, with north arcade to match. Fittings include an ogee-arched piscina resting on a head corbel, plain C17 pulpit, font probably C19; in north aisle several glazed tiles of c1540. Memorials include the defaced alabster effigy of a lady, of c1475, and a brass to Nicholas Wadham, died 1508, with effigy in shroud, and plaque to Jane, Lady Wadham, died 1557. South west nave window has engraved glass by Lawrence Whistler. First recorded vicar 1221. An 1822 report speaks of wooden spire to tower, and, probably erroneously, of two aisles. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England South and West Somerset, 1958; Greenwood C & J, Somerset Delineated, 1822).

Listing NGR: ST3518917423

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Greenwood, C and Greenwood, J - Title: Somerset Delineated - Date: 1822
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: ST 35189 17423

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2014 at 01:11:18.