List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1057002

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthoritySeavington St. Michael

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 264163

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SEAVINGTON ST MICHAEL CP CHURCH LANE (East side) ST41SW 5/83 Church of St Michael 4.2.58

GV II*

Anglican parish church. Late C12, possibly refenestrated, porched c1291; C15 alterations, gallery of c1800, vestry 1858, reseating of 1899. Ham stone rubble, ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof between stepped coped gables, with low parapet to nave. Two-cell plan of single-bay chancel, 3-bay nave, with north porch, south-east vestry and western bell turret. Chancel has no plinth, but clasping corner buttresses without offsets; 2-light east window, C14 tracery under pointed-arched plain-stopped label; north wall has 2-light flat-arched C15 windows, trefoil-cusped lights with incised spandrils, all set in hollow rectangular recess with deep square plain-stopped label; on south side the leanto vestry, with similar flat-arched window but not in a recess, in the east wall. Nave has corner buttresses to half-height, and added bay buttresses on south side to full height; centre bay on south side has a blocked chamfered pointed-arched doorway, with diamond-leaded window inserted with cill just below springing; on either side a 2-light C15 early Perpendicular traceried window, no recesses, plain-stepped labels; similar windows on north wall, but the north-east is 3-light with square-stop label; west window also 3-light C15, with pointed-arched square-stopped label, below being a small buttress and above a semi-circular arched plain window to serve the gallery. Crowning west wall is the bell turret; simple ashlar west gable with arched openings for 2 bells, and to east a Welsh slate-clad casing: until the 1770s a stone tower is mentioned, but in 1822 a wooden turret with 3 bells is described - either or both may refer to this structure. North porch has chamfered plinth, ball finial to north gable; 2-order moulded pointed outer arch and simple pointed inner arch; bench seats, segmental barrel vault ceiling. Interior mostly C19 reshaping: chancel very plain, with C19 scissor-truss roof; trefoil-cusped piscina in south wall of sanctuary; double-panelled chancel arch to almost full width. Nave has segmental plaster barel vault of 1825, with gallery at west end; another piscina, cinquefoil cusped, in south wall, and near chancel arch four later C14 corbel brackets for rood loft or lenten veil, two having carved heads. Choirstalls removed: fittings in chancel of C19 and C20; likewise in nave except for a circular tub font on rectangular base, probably C12/C13, with late C18 cover. Charles II hatchment over north door: in chancel the effigy of a man, c1280-90, possibly Adam le Denys, Lord of the Manor of Seavington St Denys, d.1284. Two fragments of early medieval glass in tracery of south-west nave window, and C18 glass panel in west window. First mention of church in 1226, first recorded rector 1297. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; VCH, Vol III, 1974; Greenwood, C and J, Somerset Delineated, 1822).

Listing NGR: ST4101314947

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Greenwood, C and Greenwood, J - Title: Somerset Delineated - Date: 1822
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset - Date: 1958
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Somerset - Date: 1974 - Volume: 3

National Grid Reference: ST 41013 14947

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2014 at 01:18:59.