List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: KINGSTONE FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1056988

Location

KINGSTONE FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityKingstone

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 264121

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST31SE KINGSTONE CP KINGSTONE VILLAGE

4/37 Kingstone Farmhouse

4.2.58

GV II*

Detached farmhouse. Early C16, reshaped C17 and later. Ham stone rubble and near ashlar, with ashlar dressings; plain clay tiled roof with stone slate base courses between stepped coped gables; stone and brick chimney stacks. 'T'-plan; 2 storeys with attics. Entrance in west crosswing which is 3-bay: hollow-chamfer mullioned windows to upper bay 1 and lower bays 2 and 3 (the latter of C20); blocked window upper bay 2, and 3-light C18 pattern leaded casement to upper bay 3; to lower bay 1 an ashlar stone porch with Welsh slate roof, the doorway probably of C19. On north gable of crosswing a 3-light hollow-chamfered mullioned window without label above, and below a l+2+l light angled bay window with beaded mullions and flat roof; against remainder of north elevation an outshut with a half-hipped 2-storey building attached to the north-east corner, (formerly thatched but unroofed March 1986). On east gable of east wing a 4-light mullioned window with label to first floor. The south elevation of 3 bays has the projecting gable of crosswing to bay 1, with proudstanding chimney stack and mullioned window to attic, with a 4 and a 3-light hollow chamfer. Mullioned window to lower bays 2 and 3, with C20 casement to upper bay 2 and stairlight to left; marked straight joint between bays 2 and 3; beaded mullioned window in return. Internally the north room of the west crosswing has two rough beams formerly plastered over, and in west wall a possible old fireplace concealed by C20 insertion; the central lobby has a later staircase possibly on the site of the original; and the south room has a 4-panel chamfer-beam ceiling, and the window in the east wall has vertical iron and saddlebars, with rebates for shutters, and another suspected early fireplace; the west room of the east wing has a modified fireplace with formerly a gable chimney, and a wattle-and-daub partition into outshut on north side, and the beams are chamfered with keel stops. The east room of the east wing is an addition; with second straight staircase, and keel-stopped beams with jettied arrangement to north wall. Not all the roof trusses are accessible, but in the west crosswing the trusses are windbraced in at least part, and are carried on the walls, not on crucks. It is suggested that this is a T-shaped house of the early C16, possibly all 2-storey but alternatively with a 3-bay open ball; the east room of the east wing and some modifications of c1600, with further modifications in the mid C18. To the north of the added room, and obscuring the jetty, a 2-storied building with one C18 window having internal shutters, and a small stair window in the west wall, with brick-built oven in north wall: there is said to be a well under the floor; this could be the successor to a detached kitchen. This property was the Rectory House of Kingstone, and was given to the Vicars Choral of Wells Cathedral in 1382. In 1636 the house carried an orchard, garden, two barns, a stable with outhouses and a great court with a pigeon house. By 1650 the accommodation is described as hall, kitchen, buttery, and several 'lodging rooms' over, with one barn (q.v) of stone with thatched roof. (VCH, Vol III, l974; VAG Report, unpublished SRO, March 1984).

Listing NGR: ST3781513669

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: March - Date: 1984 - Journal Title: Vernacular Architecture Group Report
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Somerset - Date: 1974 - Volume: 3

National Grid Reference: ST 37815 13669

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Aug-2014 at 09:16:10.