List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1056883

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityKingsbury Episcopi

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 264371

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST41NW KINGSBURY EPISCOPI CP CHURCH LANE (East side) EAST LAMBROOK

6/116 Church of St. James

17.4.59

GV lI+

Anglican church: C12, C13, C15, C18; C19 restoration. Coursed and squared rubble, slate roofs, stone tiles to eaves, coped verges, finials, C19 double-gabled bell-turret. Nave, chancel, small west porch. Early English, Decorated, and Perpendicular styles. Three bay nave, to south a cusped 2-light square-head window with a label, a hollow-moulded mullioned and transomed window, and a small opening set under the eaves, also square-headed. Evidence of a blocked former south doorway. On north side a chamfered 3-light mullioned window; doorway to a west gallery set high up, plank door, reached by flight of 11 external stone steps, simple wrought-iron handrail. West end with a single and a 2-light window, simple style, Small but elaborate C19 ashlar porch, diagonal buttresses, pedimented gable, chamfered 3-centred arch inner doorway. Small low single-bay chancel, 2-light square-headed windows to north and south with cusping. Three-light east window of c1300 with cusping, intersecting tracery. Interior in simple style, plastered with flagstone floors, Chancel arch of c1190 on scallop corbels. Piscina with ogee head, probably C14. East window with a rere-arch. Two unusual wooden corbels projecting from wall halfway along north and south sides of nave, carved as grotesque heads. Octagonal Perpendicular-type font, probably recut. Pulpit made up of reused Jacobean panels. Very fine C18 west gallery on cast-iron columns, moulded cornice, central baluster panel. Late C18/early C19 box pews. Large C18 painting of Royal Arms. C18 charity plaque in chancel. (Pevsner N., Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, I958).

Listing NGR: ST4317218665

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: ST 43172 18665

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2014 at 09:03:23.