List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CLAPTON MILL (LOCKYER AND SON), WITH AQUEDUCT TO NORTH EAST

List entry Number: 1056856

Location

CLAPTON MILL (LOCKYER AND SON), WITH AQUEDUCT TO NORTH EAST, CLAPTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityWest Crewkerne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Dec-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262461

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST40NW WEST CREWKERNE CP CLAPTON ROAD (East side) CLAPTON 5/214 Clapton Mill (Lockyer and Son), with aqueduct to north east

GV II*

Water driven flour mill. Rebuilt 1864, on site of C12 mill. Local stone cut and squared, Ham stone ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof with plain bargeboarded gables. Three storeys with attic, the main block of 4 bays. Chamfer-mullioned windows without labels, all 3-light, with cast iron casements having rectangular panes. Metal plate reinforcements at beam ends showing externally. To lower bay 1 a boarded door in moulded flat-arched surround, and to bay 2 plain doorways to first and second floors. Above doorways is a projecting timber-framed, corrugated iron clad, sack hoist, on timber brackets resting on stone corbels, with pitched, gabled roof, simple window and trap doors. Against the south gable a small single-storey building having segmental-arched openings to 2 casement windows, brick south gable; this is the diesel engine house, presumably of 1931, the date of the Ruston and Hornsby engine still used to boost the water-wheel drive when necessary. Behind are the two apertures of the wheelhouse, a small segmental-arched opening, and the larger 3-centred arch over the millstream itself, which runs the length of the building at the rear: a 2-light window set high in the mail south gable, and 2 others below. Against north gable two leanto buildings, the smaller against the larger. The rear, east elevation in brick. Attached to the north-east corner the launder, or aqueduct carrying the upper stream of steel plate conduit on brick piers, 20-30 metres length. The wheel in cast iron, of 6.4 metres diameter and about 3 metres across, Dorset made but repaired by a Martock firm; is both overshot and brestshot: the machinery it drives is essentially that installed in 1864, with appropriate renewals, and uses Derbyshire and French millstones. The internal structure essentially timber, with cast iron columns. Original ladder stairs, with ten bin stores in attic, The Lockyer family moved in as tenant millers in 1870, and bought the mill in 1901 as it is still run only by a Lockyer father and son (July 1986), it has not been necessary to implement changes to meet with current "Health and Safety at Work" legislation. The mill would probably not survive such alterations, or at least retain its current interest and importance. (Buckanan, C.A and R.A, Guide to Industrial Archaelogy of Central and Southern England, 1980; Lockyer & Son, short leaflet, 1985/86). Graded at II* for surviving machinery.

Listing NGR: ST4137106378

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Buchanan, , Buchanan, , Batsford Guide to Industrial Archaeology Central Southern England, (1980)
Lockyer, , Son, , Guide to Clapton Mill, (1985)

National Grid Reference: ST 41371 06378

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 07:47:13.