List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT BARTHOLOMEW

List entry Number: 1056787

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT BARTHOLOMEW, PYLE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityYeovilton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262788

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST52SW YEOVILTON CP PYLE LANE (South side)

3/172 Church of Saint Bartholomew

19.4.61

GV II*

Church. Circa 1300, severly restored in 1872. Local lias stone cut squared and coursed, with Ham stone dressings; plain clay tiles with bands of fish scale tiles between coped gables. 2-cell church, with 2-bay chancel and 3-bay nave with added South-chapel, North porch and West tower. Chancel has 3-cusped light East window with C14 tracery, with 2-light ogee-head traceried windows to sides; angled corner buttresses with offsets, bay buttresses to full height; narrow door between windows on South side, now blockedi remains of small figure in trefoiled niche over East window. Nave has 2-light pointed arch Perpendicular windows, much restored on South side. South chapel seems mostly of C19 although remains of a Norman doorway arch used as a band course under South window. South porch may be mostly C14 work, with small 2-light opening with trefoil rere-arch in East wall, and sexfoil window on West side, plain doorway arches. Tower rather heavy, in 3 stages of plain detail and square proportions. West door in moulded almost semi-circular headed arch in a flat headed recess, the spandrils foliated, door possibly C16, with sanctuary handle; Above a 3-light window, evidently C19 restoration; on North side a statue recess possibly of late C15, much eroded; very small rectangular windows in North and South walls, stage 2, then almost triangular headed 2-light C15 traceried windows to each face of stage 3. Plinth, string courses each stage, and low slightly crenellated parapet, centre gargoyles and corner pinnacles. Octagonal stair turret in South-west corner. Interior locked and not accessible - said to contain a C14 piscina in the chancel with an ogee arch, resting on a bust corbel; double-chamfered chancel and tower arches dying into imposts, a nave wagon-roof with bosses; statue bracket on South wall of the nave, and rere-arches to windows of nave and chancel of late C13/early C14. The money to build the tower bequeathed by a Rector in 1486. (Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England - South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST5468023013

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: ST 54680 23013

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Aug-2014 at 09:10:10.