List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHARLTON HOUSE

List entry Number: 1056766

Location

CHARLTON HOUSE, ILCHESTER ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityCharlton Mackrell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262841

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST52NW CHARLTON MACKRELL CP ILCHESTER ROAD (East side) 5/36 Charlton House 17.4.59

GV II*

Detached house. Dated 1726, with later extensions. Local lias stone cut and squared with painted Ham stone dressings; hipped mansard roof covered with Welsh slates, behind low parapets; stone chimney stacks. 2 storeys with attics; west elevation of 7 bays, the end bays being set back and slightly lower. Plinth, string courses, low parapet with heavily moulded coping, rusticated quoins: bays 2 to 6 have 8-pane sash windows in bolection mould surrounds, the upper windows having segmental arched heads and apron-panels below, and between bays 3 and 4 and 4 and 5 semi-circular arched niches in matching architraves; to lower bay 4 the entrance, with pair 4 panel doors in bolection mould architrave, with open porch having Doric columns and entablature: dormer windows in roof over bays 3, 4 and 5: bay 1 has a 16-pane sash window in plain opening above, and below a 3-light leaded mullioned and transomed window with 3 centre arched head; to bay 7 blind panels at both levels, with semi-circular arched niche with keystone and impost blocks below and segmental arched with apron-panel above. Modern extension to north gable; single-storey bay window on south gable, and later lean-to extension to rear (also linked is the Dovecote, qv). Interior has been modified, and part of the hall partition has been renewed, otherwise there remain the 6 fielded panel doors, and the staircase, which appears to be re-used from elsewhere (tradition says from Manor Farmhouse, qv). North west root has ceiling cornice and frieze, presumably C18, as does the south east room. Attics very little altered: orginally a double roof plan, the main structure still survives below the Mansard; some plank and muntin partitioning; the servants stairs giving access to this unaltered. The property, then known as Lanchers, bacame property of the Lyte family of Lytes Cary (qv) in 1540, and it was Thomas Lyte (died 1748) who built this house: the Lyte arts feature on the rainwater stackheads. John Jerritt, owner 1800-06, diverted the Kingweston Road further west, keeping the old road as the carriage drive.(Victoria County History, Volume III, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST5295029075

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Somerset - Date: 1974 - Volume: 3

National Grid Reference: ST 52950 29075

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2014 at 07:25:37.