List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD COTTAGE

List entry Number: 1056733

Location

THE OLD COTTAGE, WEST CHARLTON

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityCharlton Mackrell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262857

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST52NW CHARLTON MACKRELL CP WEST CHARLTON (south side) 5/52 The Old Cottage 17.4.59

GV II*

Pair of cottages. C16 and later. Local lias stone cut and squared, with Ham stone dressings; clay pantiles to north, plain clay tiles over stone slate base courses to south, between coped gables; brick and stone chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 4 bays. north elevation has to lower bays 1 and 2 hollow chamfer mullioned windows of 4 and 2 four centre arched-lights with incised spandrels, set in recesses; in upper-bay 2 a wave-mould mullioned window adapted to take C19 wood casements to match remainder of elevation. On south elevation further 3-light mullioned window-bay 4, and to-bay 3 projecting stairwell, otherwise C19 and C20 casement windows, and doors under open tiled porches. Interiors contain much of interest: the east cottage has deep moulded ceiling beams forming 3 bays x 3 bays, with some moulded boarded partitions and early doors; timber cambered-arched beam to fireplace in east wall flanked by unusual C16-panelling with poppyhead finials to door jambs; cambered arched doorway to circular elm staircase; in attic above more C16/C17 boarded partitions and doors. west cottge has circular stone staircase in south east corner, adjoining a low cambered-arched timber beam fireplace; chamfered crossbeams and traces of a jointed cruck truss carried to ground. Believed to be the Chantry House mentioned in 1588, and dating from earlier that century in part; the Chantry itself was disolved in 1548. (Victoria County History, Volume III, 1974; Hamilton and Long, Some Account of the Parishes of Charlton Adam and Charlton Mackrell, 1961).

Listing NGR: ST5251928309

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hamilton, , Long, , Some Account of the Parishes of Charlton Adam and Charlton Mackrell, (1961)
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1974)

National Grid Reference: ST 52519 28309

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2014 at 12:06:34.