List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE COURT

List entry Number: 1056732

Location

THE COURT, WEST CHARLTON

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityCharlton Mackrell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262853

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST52NW CHARLTON MACKRELL CP WEST CHARLTON (North side) 5/48 The Court

17.4.59

GV II*

Detached house. 1792. Built for Richard Ford, rector. Local lias stone rubble; Welsh slate roof between coped gables; stone chimney stacks. In a Georgian Gothic style. South front 3 storeys, 5 bays. battlemented parapet, from which a centre gable was removed in C19; 16-pane sash windows with Y traceried work at heads, taken down to floor level at ground floor, normal first floor; matching 8-pane sash windows second floor, all set in plain openings with voussoired slightly segmental arched openings; dog guards in iron to lower windows; centre-bay has projecting 2-bay Ham stone porch with pointed arches, battlemented parapet and corner pinnacles with shield of arms in centre: plates for tie bars between all bays. On east elevation a single-light C16 window, also a single-storey C19 angled-bay with battlemented pediment and larger-pane sash windows traceried to match. north elevation random fenestration, cut into hillside and not generally seen, includes larger pointed arched window to staircase. Interior a mixture of Gothic and Regency detail suggesting that internal works were finished over long period; 2 rooms deep; rooms have Regency architraves; some doors replaced with C20 doors; ornamental coved ceilings; through hall has Gothic style cross-screen, and at rear good cantilevered stone stair with Gothic style wrot iron balustrade. Kitchen wing demolished in 1950's and replaced by small extension on west Gable. A rectory, first mentioned 1524, by late C18 decribed as 'very ruinous', and 'repaired' by Richard Ford in 1792, in fact almost totally rebuilt: sold on the merger of the living in 1922. (Victoria County History, Volume III, 1974; Nares G. Country Life: Vol CV11, January 20th 1950).

Listing NGR: ST5278828443

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: 20 January - Date: 1950 - Journal Title: Country Life - Volume: 107
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Somerset - Date: 1974 - Volume: 3

National Grid Reference: ST 52790 28444

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Apr-2014 at 01:36:55.