List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE UNICORN

List entry Number: 1056646

Location

THE UNICORN, WEST STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthoritySomerton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 263051

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST4828 SOMERTON CP WEST STREET (North side)

8/243 The Unicorn

17.4.59

GV II*

Inn. Late medieval or C16 origins, remodelled mid C17. Local lias stone cut and squared, painted Ham stone dressings; clay pantiled roof between coped gables; brick and stone chimney stacks. Two storeys, 4 bays. Hollow chamfer mullioned windows with labels, mostly 4-light with horizontal glazing bar inserts, with single light window between lower bays 1 and 2: bay 3 is a projecting gabled porch with semi circular archway with lozenge impost blocks and keystone, then string course, above which is a square bay window adapted from single lights in the return and a 3 light window on the main face, the label of the latter surviving, with hanging sign to gable; a lean-to against the east gable with 8 pane sash; early C19 and other extension to rear. Interior not seen, other than eastern ground floor room which has chamfered crossbeam and open gable fireplace; VCH mentions a smoke chamber behind, and a 7 bay open roof with jointed cruck trusses and cambered collars and chamfered arched windbraces. Recorded as an inn by 1756 (VCH, Volume III, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST4886328525

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Somerset - Date: 1974 - Volume: 3

National Grid Reference: ST 48863 28525

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2014 at 03:38:55.