List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1056348

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityHolton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 261726

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST62NE HOLTON CP

3/26 Church of St Nicholas

24.3.61

GV II*

Parish church. C14 and later. Local stone rubble with Cary stone ashlar dressings; Welsh slates with coped East gable to chancel and plain gables to North aisle, plain clay tiles with simple gable to nave. 3-cell plan with 2-bay chancel and 2-bay nave and North aisle, with South porch and West Tower and vestry extension to North aisle. Chancel plain, with almost round headed C16 style 3-light traceried East window, and 2-light window in flat topped recess in South wall, East of which is an ogee arched doorway. North aisle has 2-light flat head window in East wall and a pair of C19 2- light traceried pointed windows with labels in North wall, divided off by full height offset buttresses. Nave has similar windows to South wall; between which is the porch with coped gable crowned with block type sundial; moulded arch of near semi-circular form, with plain chamfered pointed inner arch. Tower simple, probably C14, in 2 stages; plinth, diagonal buttresses with offsets to most of lower stage, string courses, the upper with corner gargoyles, crenellated parapet; small 2-light window with cusped heads under flat arch without label low in West wall; slit window to belfry window high in stage-1, South wall; North wall plain; stage-2 has a single 2-light traceried window without label to each face; snall lean-to against North side. Inside, the chancel mostly C19 in character, with pseudo 3-centred arch to organ chamber in North wall; the wide chancel arch could be C14. The nave has a C15 style arcade into the North aisle, added in 1888, using panelled arches. Fittings include a plain tub type of font, possibly C12, and an octagonal plan pulpit front with panel tracery, probably C15. (Pevsner, N; Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958)

Listing NGR: ST6852826849

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: ST 68528 26849

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2014 at 11:39:50.