List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE MARKET HOUSE

List entry Number: 1056254

Location

THE MARKET HOUSE, MARKET PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityCastle Cary

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262020

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CASTLE CARY CP MARKET PLACE (West side) ST6432 6/87 The Market House 4.2.74 GV II*

Market house with other public buildings. 1855, by F.C. Penrose. Cary stone cut and squared, with Doulting stone dressings; Delabole slate roof between stepped coped gables crowned with small pinnacles; central lead-covered spirelet with clock-faces set diagonally onto ridge. In a Flemish style. 'L'-plan; 3 storeys, 7-bay main facade. Open colonnade to ground floor, with circular non-classical columns carrying chamfered 3-centred arches; then string courses to a panelled section with pointed arohed recesses having alternately circular and triangular leaded windows; to upper storey in bays 2, 4 and 6 are hollow-chamfered mullioned windows with three 4-centre-arched lights under flat heads without labels. North- east elevation has two open pointed arches at ground floor; then two pairs of small rectangular windows divided by a central shaft carrying a 1+2+1 light oriel window at second floor level having chamfered mullions and transomes, and stepped stone roof with a gable vent over. South- west elevation has an end gable, featuring staircase windows, and a 3-bay extension to the rear to match, adjusted to suit the slope of the hill alongside. Rear elevation has a gabled projection with segmental arched casements at ground floor level, a single and a 2-light rectangular window to first floor with casements, and similar windows to second floor but with rectangular leaded-pane lights, gable vent above: sundry later extensions to fill in the angle including a covered walkway and fire escape stairway. Erected by the Market House Company to replace the former house of 1616, possibly reusing the old columns, in anticipation of increased trade after the projected arrival of the railway in 1856. The undercroft, still enclosed by wrot iron railings, was for the market, particularly for corn, and at the rear were several cells; above were reading and news rooms and facilities for musical entertainments (McGarvie M, Castle Cary; Avalon Industries, 1980).

Listing NGR: ST6412632378

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: McGarvie, M - Title: Castle Cary Avalon Industries - Date: 1980

National Grid Reference: ST 64092 32381

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 02:54:19.