List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1056241

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityCastle Cary

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 261982

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CASTLE CARY CP CHURCH STREET (West side) ST6332 5/49 Church of All Saints 24.3.61 GV II* Anglican Parish Church. Saxon origins, main church c1470, heavily restored by Benjamin Ferrey 1851-1855. Tower of Cary stone cut and squared, remainder lias stone cut and squared with Doulting stone dressings; Welsh slate and sheet lead roofs behind battlemented parapets. Six-cell plan of 3-bay chancel, 5-bay nave, north and south aisles, and north and south transepts; additional north-east corner vestry, north and south porches, and west tower with spire. Chancel has double plinth, angled corner and bay buttresses; east window a 4-light C19 version of C15 tracery under arched label with headstops; to south a 3-light C15 traceried window set in hollowed pointed-arch recess without label, and to north similar window partly obscured by vestry; this generally matches but has plain parapet, and in its north wall a 3-light traceried flat-arched window with moulded arched doorway to west, both without labels. Nave visible as the clerestorey, with 3-light C15 traceried windows in 4-centre arched hollowed recesses without labels. North transept and north aisle of C19 character, with bay buttresses, and angled corner buttresses to transept; 3-light C19 versions of the nave windows in north walls; in west wall a 2-light window to match. North porch totally C19; simple C15 style outer arch with empty canopied statue niche over, and pointed moulded inner arch, with inner doorway in south-east corner to octagonal stair turret leading to parvise. South aisle and transept to match, but the aisle incorporates older work; south porch of ashlar, 2 storeys, with corner buttresses with gargoyles at head, battlemented parapet; C15 style outer arch and moulded pointed inner arch with a possibly C15 door; first floor reached by north-east octagonal stair turret, and has 2 C14 style small traceried windows without labels flanking a canopied statue niche in which is set a medieval wooden figure. Tower in 3 stages, with low bottom stage; offset corner buttresses ending in crocketted pinnacles; double plinth, string courses, open-traceried battlemented parapets with gargoyles under; tall spire with carved middle band and weathervane finial, having crocketted and pinnacled gablets at bases of principal faces to small windows; south-east corner has octagonal stair turret with stepped stone roof 2 stages high: bottom stage plain: stage 2 has a 4-light C19 traceried west window in a C15 style with pointed arched label, with a thin lancet window set above; on north and south faces are single- light cusped rectangular windows; to stage 3 all round are 2-light C15 style traceried windows with diagonal traceried stone baffles under stilted arched labels extended as an additional string course; clock faces to north and south. Inside, chancel mostly C19 and C20, with double arch-truss traceried roof frame; traceried reredos, and ogee arched doorway to vestry; arches to transepts and nave C15 style, but probably recut. Nave has C15 arcade with 4-shaft and hollow columns, but roof is a C19 traceried king-post type. Aisles have moulded rib-and-panel ceilings, probably all C19 work. Tower arch very tall, plain double chamfered; corbel offsets to tracery-panelled timber roof. Fittings include a C15 style timber pulpit, almost totally C19 but possibly with some original fragments; C15 octagonal font with double quatrefoil panels each face of bowl, foilage carved coving and traceried panelled shaft. Several C17 Keinton stone slab memorials in nave floor nicely incised, and four C18 marble plaque memorials in tower. Stained glass in east window by O'Connor, 1855, and in west window by Powell and Sons, 1864. First recorded rector 1269. (Pevsner N, Buildings of England, South and Vest Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST6391632055

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: ST 63916 32055

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2014 at 07:16:53.