List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER PRIESTS HOUSE, ABOUT 10 METRES EAST OF WAYFORD MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1056167

Location

FORMER PRIESTS HOUSE, ABOUT 10 METRES EAST OF WAYFORD MANOR HOUSE, PARK LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityWayford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262206

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WAYFORD CP PARK LANE (south side) ST40NW 5/78 Former Priest's House. about 10 metres east of Wayford Manor House -

GV II*

Former parsonage, now part of the manor estate. C15 and later. Ham stone rubble with ashlar dressings; stone slate roof to north wing and double Roman clay tiles to south crosswing, both roofs with stepped coped gables: rendered chimney stacks.'L'-plant, south elevation of 3 bays. Full-height buttresses betweei bays: 3- light hollow-chamfer mulioned windows in wave-mould recesses without labels: boarded door in lower bay 1. Slit windows in attic of east gable, with 2-light mullioned window in east flank of north wing. North gable forms part of churchyard wall, and has a C15 ogee-arched cinquefoil-cusped window without label and 2 attic windows of slim single-lights, hollow-chamfer lights in wave-mould recesses without label: between these a large panel with an eroded coat-of-arms set in an egg-and-tart mould frame. Wast return flank of north wing has more 2-light mullioned windows. the upper with traces of ovolo-mouiding, and at north end a winding staircase from outside with triangular arched opening and boarded door in heavy cambered-arched timber frame. Interior not accessible. Described in 1606 as a mansion with barn, garden and orchard; repaired 1827 for an incoming curato; lived-in intermittently by parish priest until cl965. (VCH Somerset, Vol IV, l978, p74).

Listing NGR: ST4048106625

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1978), 74

National Grid Reference: ST 40481 06625

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 05:57:49.