List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1056166

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, PARK LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityWayford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262202

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WAYFORD CP PARK LANE (South side) ST40NW 5/74 Church of St Michael

4.2.58

GV II*

Anglican parish church. C13 origins, with remodelling in C18, Cl9; and early C20, for Ingham Baker then Lord of the manor. Local stone roughcast; with Ham stone ashlar dressings; Welsh stile roofs between stepped coped gables, with plain parapat having moulded coping on north side: west bell turret in timber clad with cedar shingles against the stone west termination. Three-cell plan of single bay chancel, 3-bay nave and north aisle; with north-east corner vestry and south porch. Chancel has plinth and very slim corner pilasters; east window a 3-light 'Y'-tracery window with pointed-arched label, of C18; south wall has one small lancet. Vestry has single lancet window in the east wall. possibly a reuse. North aisle has 3 single lancets and a segmental-arched doorway in the north wall and one lancet in the west wall. Nave has a single lancet towards the west end of the south wall, with a 2-light chamfer-mullioned window in chamfered recess; flat-arched without label, to east of porch, a matching 2-light window set high under eaves towards west end, probably for a gallery, now blocked; west gable has a pair of lancet windows, South Porch added in C18: plain coped south gable with stone tiled roof and gabletted finial, with chamfered triangular arched outer doorway; bench seats; moulded segmental-pointed arched inner doorway. Interior of very individual character, Chancel and nave have C18 boarded roofs with double-collar trusses; chancel plain with no arch into nave; in south wall a C14 partly-restored double piscina, and the lancet nearby has a trefoil rere- arch, as does the lancet in the south wall of the nave. The nave is separated from the north aisle by a timber arcade of square-section posts with slightly- arched braces to wall-plate beam; the aisle ceiling boarded to match, being of lean-to form. Fittings include some fragments of C17 and C18 timber panelling in the chancel, a C18 altar table, and nave box pews of early C19 pattern; small hexagonal pulpit in the north aisle probably C18; plain octagonal font of uncertain date, but possibly C14; boards with the Creed and Lord's Prayer, dated 1795, and a GIIIR hatchment on the north wall. Monuments include marble decorated wall tablets to Azariah Pinney, died 1760, and John Frederick Pinney died 1762, both former owners of trio manor house, in the chancel; and to Elizabeth Pinney, died 1812, on the south wall of the nave. Two bells in turret, both of C18. The chancel apparently collapsed in 1846, and part of the east wall and the vestry damaged by fire in 1895; major restoration of 1902. First mention of church in 1266. (VCH Somerset, Vol IV, 1978, p73-75; Pevsner, N Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, l958).

Listing NGR: ST4048006655

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset - Date: 1958
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Somerset - Date: 1978 - Volume: 4 - Page References: 73-75

National Grid Reference: ST 40480 06655

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Sep-2014 at 07:36:28.