List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WYCHERLEY HALL

List entry Number: 1055965

Location

WYCHERLEY HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityBaschurch

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260701

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BASCHURCH C.P. SJ 42 NW - 12/6 Wycherley Hall - 27.5.53 - II* Manor house, now farmhouse. Circa 1400 extended late C16 and early C17 with later additions and alterations. Timber framed with painted brick infill and rebuilding painted black and white in imitation of timber frame; slate roofs, part graded. Earliest part is gabled range to left of 2 framed bays formerly open to roof with roughly central smoke bay; porch added at right-angles to left in late C16 and long hall range to right in early C17; cross-wing at right-angles to hall range and gables to front and rear added later in C17. Two storeys and attics. Framing: front gable of medieval range refaced in C17 giving 'double' wall; 2 tall rect- angular panels from first-floor bressumer to tie beam, raking struts above with king-strut from collar. Ground floor rebuilt in brick painted black and white in imitation. Late C16 porch at right-angles to left is jettied to first floor and attic but ground floor has been rebuilt in brick and doorway infilled. Gable has herringbone decoration to first floor and close-set vertical posts above; close studding to left and square panels to right. Left side of medieval range has irregular square and rectangular panels and large upward-and downward-swinging curved tension braces from middle rail. Rear gable has square panels, massive wall posts and raking struts from slightly cambered tie beam to principal rafters. C17 two-storey porch to right of medieval range to front has tall rectang- ular panels to left side, square panels to right and close-set vertical posts to apex of gable. Hall range and gabled cross-wing to right with narrower gable in angle between all clad in brick to front, painted black and white in imitation of timber frame. Rear: gable of cross-wing has irregular square and rectangular panels and queen-strut truss with V- struts from collar; close studding to left side. Mixture of square and rectangular panels and close-set posts to hall range (partly rebuilt in brick). Mixture of rectangular panels and close-set vertical posts to narrow gable to right, which has V-struts from collar. Windows to front all C20 except C19 leaded casements to attics of cross-wing and narrow gable in angle to left; one to each floor of medieval range, one to first floor of porch with 2 to ground floor flanking C20 plank door, one on each floor to hall range, cross-wing and gable in angle between. Massive extruded external lateral stack to left of medieval part with 2 detached diagonal shafts; prominent external lateral stack to right of cross-wing and similarly large external stack to back wall of hall range with top rebuilt in C19 brick. C19 brick lean-to to rear of medieval range and C19 brick lean-to to right of cross-wing. Interior. Full inspection not possible at time of resurvey (January 1987) but has chamfered ceiling beams and fragmentarily exposed timber frame throughout on ground and first floors. Chamfered cross-beam ceiling in hall range to ground floor and several panelled doors. Main feature of interest is c.1400 part, formerly open to roof. Roughly central recess on ground and first floors (timber frame visible to back on latter) represents smoke bay. Central jowled wall posts visible on first floor with mortices for braces to tie beam (sawn-off tenons visible to underside). Panelled door in Tudor arch-way cut through tie beam to right. Roof structure visible in attic: original single purlins, rafters, ridge piece and cusped windbraces. Centre truss has raking struts from slightly cambered tie beam to principal rafters like rear truss but front truss is not visible below collar level owing to insertion of second-floor ceiling. Timber framed partition with wattle and daub infill behind centre truss closes smoke bay.The whole roof structure is heavily smoke blackened but especialy at this point. C17 part of house has wide boarded oak floor boards to first floor and attic and queen-strut roof. Hall range may be slighly earlier than re- mainder as has mortice for a middle rail to wall post on first floor to right suggesting that there was formerly an external wall at this point.

Listing NGR: SJ4181027259

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 41810 27259

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2014 at 04:52:05.