List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BOREATTON HALL

List entry Number: 1055962

Location

BOREATTON HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityBaschurch

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 25-Apr-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260695

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BASCHURCH C.P. 5358 - SJ 42 SW 15/1 Boreatton Hall (form- 27.5.53 erly listed as Old - Boreatton Hall) - II* Country house, now reduced in size. Dated 1675 (rainwater heads) for Rowland Hunt, Sheriff of Shropshire in 1672. Reduced in size in c.1854, restored in 1933/4 (date on rainwater heads) and again in 1986/7. Red brick (mixed bond) with sandstone dressings; steep-pitched hipped plain tile roof. Present L-plan with extruded corner tower the result of the demolition of one half of the former large U-plan house in C19. 2 storeys and attic with wooden scrolled modillion eaves cornice, moulded stone floor band and plinth and alternating angle quoins. Wooden cross windows through- out (some with leaded lights) have plain stone lintels in 2 sections. North wing, south side: 3 windows on each floor with segmental eaves dormer to right of centre. Rectangular tower projecting in angle to right. 4 storeys with stepped windows lighting stair-well. Also has scrolled modillion eaves cornice with pyramidal slate roof surmounted by ball finial and weathervane. C20 half-glazed door to bottom. Left return of wing has 2 large early C20 cross windows on each floor, those to ground floor cutting plinth. 2 segmental eaves dormers directly above. Central lead downpipe has representation of beast and superscription "RHF/ 1675" to rainwater head. Surviving section of former centre (west) range has 3 closely spaced windows to first floor with 2 below to left and centre; lower right (former doorway) now has late C19 French casement; left and centre bays divided by brick pilaster with stone Ionic capital and carved rosette at lintel level of ground-floor windows. Lead downpipe to left of left window has representation of beast and superscription "RHF/1675" to rainwater head. Segmental eaves dormer in line with pilaster. Right wall of wing rebuilt in C19 when remainder demolished: cross window on first floor with segmental eaves dormer directly above and C20 French window directly below. Rear of west range has 2 cross windows on each floor, lower right replaced by late C20 panelled double doors, separated by prominent stepped external stack with tall narrow round-headed recess to top. Segmental eaves dormer directly above right window and lead downpipe to far left with representation of beast and superscription "RK/1813" to rainwater head. Projection of north wing to right has 2 cross windows on each floor with segmental eaves dormers above. Lead downpipe to right has carving of beast and superscription "RK/Restored/1933" to rainwater head. Rear of north wing has 8 slightly unevenly spaced cross windows on first floor with third from left and second from right bays on ground floor occupied by plank doors. Small window between second and third bays from left on ground floor; right window cut by C20 lean-to (not of special architectural interest). 3 segmental eaves dormers with red brick ridge stacks to left and right. Central lead downpipe has representation of beast and superscription "RK/Restored/1934" to rainwater head. Interior. Staircase rising in-short straightflights to top of tower has turned balusters (symmetrical to middle),open string, moulded handrail and added urn finials to newels. Panelled doors, chamfered ceiling beams and corner fireplaces throughout. Several rooms on ground and first floors have late p17 panelling, some decorated. Principal surviving room is to former centre range on ground floor: rectangular oak panelling with some C17 or C18 stained glass to wooden partition; C19 armorial stained glass to windows. Attic has wide boarded oak floor boards and a large number of exposed curved principals or 'upper crucks', several of which appear to be reused. Barrel-vaulted stone and brick cellar continues under lawn and marks full extent of former house. A plan and drawing preserved in the house, which marks the principal rooms as being in the demolished part of the house, leads to the suggestion that the surviving section was the service part of the building. 14 hearths are re- corded at Boreatton in 1662 and again in 1672 but these must relate to an earlier house on the site. Some of the materials from the demolished part of Boreatton Hall are said to have been reused in the building of nearby Boreatton Park (not included in this list) in 1855-6. Mrs. R.A. Brown, Baschurch, A Brief Survey of Its History and More Interesting Features (unpublished), pp. 66-9; Shropshire Hearth Tax Roll of 1672, Shropshire Archaeological and Parish Register Society (1949), p. 193; Revd. J.B. Blakeway, The Sheriffs of Shropshire (1831), p. 140; Mrs Frances Stackhouse Acton, Castles and Old Mansions of Shropshire (1868), pp. 56-7.

Listing NGR: SJ4133322905

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Blakeway, Reverend J B , The Sheriffs of Shropshire, (1831)
Brown, R A , Baschurch A Brief Survey of its History and More Interesting Features66-9
Stackhouse Acton, F, The Castles and Old Mansions of Shropshire, (1868), 56-7
Other
Shropshire Hearth Tax Roll of 1672, (1949)

National Grid Reference: SJ 41333 22905

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2014 at 02:13:58.