List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

List entry Number: 1055926

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityWelshampton and Lyneal

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Aug-1971

Date of most recent amendment: 25-Apr-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260799

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ELLESMERE RURAL C.P. COLEMERE SJ 43 SW 9/100 Church of St. John the - Evangelist (formerly listed as Church of St. 20.8.71 John the Evangelist, Lyneal) GV II* Parish church. 1870 by G.E. Street for Marian, Viscountess Alford, in memory of her son, the second Earl Brownlow (died 1867). Snecked and tooled yellow limestone ashlar with red sandstone ashlar bands; machine tile roofs with stepped coped verges; ornamental ceramic cresting to chancel, which has floriated Celtic cross to gable end. Nave and chancel in one with bellcote at junction; north-east vestry and south- east organ chamber. Early Decorated style. Nave. South side has 2 paired trefoil-headed lancets with quatrefoils above; moulded cill band and chamfered plinth. Triple-chamfered pointed doorway in slight projection has 2 orders of shafts and bell capitals. West end has 3 stepped cusped lancets with hoodmoulds and moulded cill band; incised diamond-shaped patterns above outer windows. North side has 3 broad paired trefoil-headed lancets with quatrefoils above. Gabled bellcote has twin cusped openings with bell to south opening; iron cross to gable. Chancel. South wall has cinquefoil-headed lancet; east window with geometrical tracery in 5 lights, hoodmould and square label-stops. Stepped angle buttresses to south-east corner. North lean-to vestry running full length of chancel and slightly overlapping nave has prominent gabled dormer breaking eaves with tall paired cusped lancets and quatre- foil above; moulded cill band. Pointed doorway with hoodmould to east. West wall has cinquefoil-headed lancet with cusped trefoil above and east wall has broad trefoil-headed paired lancets. Stack in roof slope at junction with chancel has 3 stages and pierced Gothic tracery to gable. South lean-to organ chamber also overlapping nave has dormer like that in vestry and pointed doorway to west with hoodmould and square label-stops. East and west walls have cinquefoil-headed lancets with cusped trefoils above; moulded cill band terminating in square label- stops. Late C19 cast-iron pump with fluted top, curved handle and decorated spout fixed to east wall. Interior. Exposed stone to walls throughout. Trussed rafter roof to nave and canted and boarded roof to chancel. Moulded and chamfered pointed chancel arch. Low stone screen attached with blind quatrefoils separates nave from raised chancel. Circular stone pulpit with pierced pointed quatrefoils set in lozenges is part of composition and projects to west on north. Pointed arches to lean-tos immediately to west of screen and also in chancel, latter filled by wooden parclose screens with geometrical tracery and doors to east. Trefoil-headed piscina and 2 cinquefoil-headed sedilia in south wall of raised sanctuary. This has uncusped trefoil-headed doorway on north side (leading to vestry) and decorated wrought-iron communion rails with wooden handrail. Stone reredos has triptych with carved Crucifixion panel to centre, floral motifs above and glazed wall tiles to either side of altar,depicting corn and vine in vases. Encaustic floor tiles throughout, with representations of birds and lions in chancel plus green glaze to undecorated tiles in sanctuary. Circular font at west end of nave has small plate tracery panels alternating with rosettes in circular recesses below; moulded plinth and fluting under basin. Pews and choir stalls probably also by Street, as are cast- iron and brass sconces attached to latter and brass sconces fixed to pulpit. Brass lectern and oil lamps in nave are also contemporary. Stained glass in south-east window of nave commemorates Louis Belson (died 1874). Brass plate on north wall records building of church. Small iron-bound chest in vestry, which has infilled fireplace with trefoil-headed surround. The parish of Lyneal-cum-Colemere was carved out of Ellesmere and Welshampton in 1869. B.o.E. p.192; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 9 (1908), p.759.

Listing NGR: SJ4377932908

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 759
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 192

National Grid Reference: SJ 43779 32908

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 02:34:34.