List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BRITISH WATERWAYS BOARD CANAL MAINTENANCE DEPOT, SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL (SOUTH EAST SIDE) (LLANGOLLEN BRANCH) TIMBER STORE (PINE LOFT) BRITISH WATERWAYS BOARD CANAL MAINTENANCE DEPOT

List entry Number: 1055924

Location

BRITISH WATERWAYS BOARD CANAL MAINTENANCE DEPOT, SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL (SOUTH EAST SIDE) (LLANGOLLEN BRANCH), SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL
TIMBER STORE (PINE LOFT) BRITISH WATERWAYS BOARD CANAL MAINTENANCE DEPOT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityEllesmere Rural

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Apr-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260794

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ELLESMERE RURAL

1585/18/94 BIRCH 17-SEP-02 TIMBER STORE (PINE LOFT) BRITISH WAT ERWAYS BOARD CANAL MAINTENANCE DEPOT SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL BIRCH BRITISH WATERWAYS BOARD CANAL MAINTENA NCE DEPOT, SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL (SOU TH EAST SIDE) (LLANGOLLEN BRANCH)

GV II* Timber store. Circa 1806 adjoining William Jessop's and Thomas Telford's Ellesmere Canal. Sandstone ashlar, with front of weatherboarded timber frame and brick bay to right; hipped asbestos sheet roof. 2 levels with wooden dentilled eaves cornice. 3 windows on first floor, C19 three-light casements to left and right with C20 three-light casement to centre. Open to ground floor in 4 bays with wooden posts supporting upper level. Later C19 single-storey sawshop range projecting from and closing right bay, with sliding doors to front and glazed sides. Early C20 lean-to to left, with three half-glazed sliding doors. Brick bay to right formerly housed steam engine. Interior: king-post roof; belt-drive gearing in loft. Tracks leading from building formerly took coal trucks to steam-powered engine in open ground-floor area of building. This had been adapted from a locomotive engine, the cylinder and piston being mounted vertically, and generated power for working the machinery in the depot.

This building survives as an important functional part of the best-preserved canal workshop site in Britain. It was very probably built to the designs of Telford and Jessop, canal engineers being traditionally responsible for a wide range of structures from the trim (lettering and mileposts) to locks and keepers' houses. All canal companies had maintenance yards for work on boats, locks, paddle gearing and other aspects of the working fabric of inland waterways.

(Edward Wilson, The Ellesmere and Llangollen Canal (1975), p.53) SJ4006634181

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Wilson, E, The Ellesmere and Llangollen Canal, (1975), 53

National Grid Reference: SJ 40066 34180

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 01:22:37.