List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE LYTH

List entry Number: 1055920

Location

THE LYTH, A 528

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityEllesmere Rural

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260784

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ELLESMERE RURAL

1585/9/84 A 528 27-MAY-53 (West side) THE LYTH

II* Small country house. 1819 with minor later additions and alterations. Painted brick; low-pitched hipped slate roof with deep eaves, central open-well and stacks to either side of centre projection and to rear. 2 storeys with continuous first-floor stone cill band. 1:1:1 bays, centre section projecting; glazing bar sashes, tripartite to centre on first floor, dummies to upper left and on either side to ground floor, latter 15-paned. Central entrance; wide half-glazed double doors with flanking vertical lights and rectangular overlight. Cast-iron verandah with trellised supports continued to left and right returns, former in 1:2:1 bays. Glazing bar sashes, 15-paned to centre on ground floor and tripartite to left and right. Right return has 4 widely spaced glazing bar sashes to each floor. Contemporary lower hip-roofed service ranges attached to rear grouped around square courtyard. Interior. Wood open-well staircase in central hall,top-lit by circular lantern, has 2 slender wrought-iron balusters to each tread. Several contemporary fireplaces and plaster cornices to ground-floor rooms, several of which have panelled window shutters. Morning room (to left of entrance) has Dufour wallpaper of c.1815-20 portraying journeys of Antenor, original to house. Also in house since its construction are tapestries by John Vanderbank of Soho, c.1730. These are fixed within frames in the dining room (to right of entrance) which appears to have been designed to accommodate them. 2 large scenes on end walls with smaller scene above fireplace and entre-fenĂȘtre opposite. These depict 'The Return from Harvest' and 'The Gipsies Fortune-Telling' with 'Backgammon Players' attached (large scenes); 'The Scene outside an Ale-house' (above fireplace) and a boy with feathered hat and stick facing, to his right, a man driving 2 cows (entre-fenĂȘtre). The tapestries have a narrow grey rope border and there is a tradition that they may have come from Windsor Castle, though no documentary evidence for this statement exists. B.O.E. p. 128; H.C. Marillier, Handbook to the Teniers Tapestries (1932), p. 108; CL (Feb. 3rd, 1977), pp. 252-3; information from owner, L.R. Jebb, Esq. (February 1987).

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Marillier, H C , Handbook to the Teniers Tapestries, (1932)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 128
'Country Life' in 3 February, (1977)

National Grid Reference: SJ 41161 33639

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 05:49:41.