List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1055883

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityHordley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 25-Apr-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260874

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HORDLEY C.P. HORDLEY SJ 33 SE 8/177 Church of St Mary - (formerly listed as Church 27.5.53 of St Mary the Virgin ) GV II* Parish church. Mid-to late C12 with later alterations, restored in 1880. Roughly coursed and dressed red sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings and chamfered plinth; late C19 slate roof with lozenge patterns to south and coped verges and foliated stone cross to east gable. Timber framed bellcote with rendered brick infill. Nave and chancel in one with C18 west bellcote; south porch and north-east vestry of 1880. Nave. South side has C15 two-light cinquefoil-headed window with cusped quatrefoil and hoodmould with carved head-stops above. Possible straight joint below. Slightly projecting section to left has C19 three-light square-headed Perpendicular-style window. Straight joint in line with east wall of porch. This is of tooled ashlar with coped verges and stone cross to gable. Pointed outer arch has circular shafts with moulded capitals and bases; hoodmould with foliated abel-stops. Stone benches to sides and pointed inner doorway also C19. West end has C19 two-light Perpendicular-style window with bellcote above. This has louvred round- headed windows to belfry and overhanging pyramidal slate cap with brass weathercock. North side has infilled C12 round-headed doorway: single stepped with rounded outer order and square-edged inner order, both with moulded imposts. Moulded dripstone terminating in grotesque heads. Two C19 buttresses flanking contemporary Perpendicular-style 3-light window. Chancel. Partly rendered north side has gabled yellow brick vestry projecting at right-angles with integral end stack and 3-light window to east side. Stepped diagonal buttresses to east end which has late C19 four-light window with reticulated tracery. Blind segmental- pointed arch-way below. Interior. Late C19 collar-beam roof in 7 unequal bays with scissor bracing for belfry in west bay. Late C18 box pews remodelled in C19 (not enclosed on south side), some with painted armorial shields and brass name-plates of local families; H-hinges to doors. Cl7 square and rectangular oak panelling reused in pews and also as wainscoting in nave, continued to south side of chancel. C18 oak pulpit on south side with raised and fielded panels. Jacobean com- munion table and 2 Jacobean chairs in raised sanctuary which has encaustic tiles. Late C19 painted octagonal font with painted symbols to each side; moulded circular plinth. Stained glass. East window of 1887, possibly by Powell's, in memory of Frances Marianne Moore, wife of Revd. John Walter Moore. Late C19 and early C20 glass in nave. Monuments. Chancel, south side: plain C18 marble wall memorial with armorial device to broken segmental pediment; inscription illegible at time of resurvey (January 1987). Nave, north and south sides: 2 late C18 wooden wall memorials, painted to resemble stone, commemorating members of Cureton family. Cast-iron grate to fireplace in vestry. B.o.E. p. 154; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 9 (1908), p.758.

Listing NGR: SJ3812330825

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 758
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 154

National Grid Reference: SJ 38123 30825

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 06:18:39.